NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn

Yeah it's stunning isn't it! I was looking at it before, I can see it from my garden from about 11pm now which is great! It was very low in the sky but it was still nice and bright and if I looked hard enough I could just about see the Cassini division :)

Is that a clever joke? :) Saturn is currently positioned roughly over the moon. :D

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Yeah it's stunning isn't it! I was looking at it before, I can see it from my garden from about 11pm now which is great! It was very low in the sky but it was still nice and bright and if I looked hard enough I could just about see the Cassini division :)

There was a lot of yellow in it, is this how it normally appears.

The moon in binocs was my first casual target - had to get a scope and made Saturn my first target in that - once I saw it I was hooked. Saturn's the most awesome thing in the sky to witness first hand real time at the eyepiece. I can only rank it alongside seeing Armstrong's first step on the moon. Of course there are many many stunning and wonderful objects out there, but Saturn is just sheer beauty! :)

As still very much a beginner, I'm desperate to catch my first sighting of Saturn. Problem is, apart from having to get up early for work, my patio is surrounded by neighboring houses so anything that's really low in the sky will not be seen! Will I have much chance of seeing this oh so special object?

Around three in the morning it reaches about 25 degs elevation directly due South. But you do need to be able to see to that height from your viewing location. Might be worth a trip down the road to the nearest supermarket car park. :)

Archived