Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh what a night...

Paul M

These night shifts can be a chore but I've been lucky with 2 clear nights :)

First off was a beautiful moonrise. I even got to watch it on the security camera. Nothing worth taking a screen shot of though.

Later I astonished a colleague by taking him outside and pointing to a patch of sky and forecasting that a bright moving star would appear there any moment and head off towards the eastern horizon.

I was right and that was his first ever view of ISS.

Then looking at SkySafari I noticed that PANSTARRS should be viewable low in the east.

I took my 8 X 40's up to an elevated position and eventually spotted it just before 4am. M41 was actually easier, being higher up.

Antares was culminating in the south. Never an easy one at our latitudes but from my elevated position I could make out much of Scorpius even with the bright moon nearby. I love that constellation, it reminds me of the more southern vistas I enjoy on holidays abroad.

Now to top it all the horizon is already brightening. We are going to be treated to a real nice, feel good sunrise.

And at 7 when my shift finishes my bed will be awaiting me 75 miles away in Cumbria. We are off to start the weekend a bit late at our caravan.

Here's to more clear skies!

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk HD

<p>Sounds Like a good job where toy can get in s sneaky observation or two. If It was me if have a sneaky st80, mak90 and tripod stashed in a bag somewhere for those evenings

The job does have its perks :)

There is a serious risk that i'll be getting a little scope for just such nights....

I'm wathching a few 10" goto SCT's on fleabay :o:D

Blokes eh?

Awesome. I can just imagine it now. a 10" SCT on a motor base stashed inside an empty Air con box on the roof. Roll off lid, waterproof and already cooled.

It's a largish industrial complex on the edge of town. I have a few structures I can climb via stairs for a better view.

It's not a bad setup :)

It beats working too :D

Archived