Hello from Shanghai

cathysia

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you guys, that's so kinde of you! :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome.

I lived in Shanghai for just under 10 years 1999 to 2008, clear skies were a rarity and the light pollution was not so good either. I lived out in the Minhang area.

Do you go outside of the city to do observations?

WOW You'd live in SH longer than me! And yes you're tight, clear skies are impossible now. Maybe Minhang is little better? Mostly we go to Chongming island, it's better, at least we can see milky way. The limiting magnitude is 5 to 6.

Every season we have a bigger observation, we go to southern Zhejiang province to see if there is any place without light pollution in the mountain area, not many, but just ok. Generally speaking, there isn't a place suitable for observation without any light pollution in southern east China now.

Welcome back to SH! :grin:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/m/shanghai/sheshan/2012-05/17/content_15319556.htm

Went out to this place a couple of times. Basically it was set up by the Jesuit's who ran the Catholic College in Xujiahui in Shanghai.

The brass refractor is quite impressive, but I never to go see through it.

Minhang was not good for observations either...too many street lights.

http://www.chinadail...nt_15319556.htm

Went out to this place a couple of times. Basically it was set up by the Jesuit's who ran the Catholic College in Xujiahui in Shanghai.

The brass refractor is quite impressive, but I never to go see through it.

Minhang was not good for observations either...too many street lights.

Sheshan was given up now, because of the light, many new buildings are being established not far away..

Archived