NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Woohoo!

northcanadian

Hi folks:

I had a productive session tonight. I got my 9.25sct drift aligned....seems dead on. Also collimated (a tweak here and a tweak there) and got the elusive (to me) airy disc surrounded by concentric circles. Just started to image these while waiting for the moon and Saturn and (you guessed it) the clouds rolled in.

In spite of not getting any imaging I am looking forward to the next session and hopefully will get some Jupiter avis.

Cheers and clear skies

Roger

well done Roger,nice to see someone positive about all things astro..its been so bad here in the U.K..anyway you don't need to no! must be mighty fresh there,i've been lookin' at the snow reports of sunshine,LL,revelstoke etc and seems you've had alot of the white stuff again..we've had a couple of bad days but not many clear nights.Good luck with your next session,calv.

I envy your location. I've been to north sask. to visit family when they owned a farm up there and have never seen skies like it since. You have the pleasure of the northern lights so frequently it must be lovely. Glad you had some fun with your scope and clear skies soon :)

Thanks folks:

There are about 6 other people in our small community that have scopes (we had a star party last fall). However (to my knowledge) I am the only one to go where no local has gone before (astrophotography). It can be a challenge for a newbie senior like me to learn about astrophotography without a 'hands on' mentor. Fortunately I found the SGL site early on and anything I have learned about this hobby I have gleaned from this great site. The members have been so kind and willing to help, even when I have asked (in retrospect) some silly questions.

I do have the best of both worlds here...excellent fishing in the day and beautiful dark skies at night.

We are a bit north of farm country. Many here are commercial fishermen, miners (further north) and trappers. The First Nations people here continue to harvest from the land....moose, deer, fish, blueberries, mushrooms, etc. Most of our lakes we can drink a cup of water from without any adverse consequences.

Cheers and clear skies

Roger

Thanks folks:

There are about 6 other people in our small community that have scopes (we had a star party last fall). However (to my knowledge) I am the only one to go where no local has gone before (astrophotography). It can be a challenge for a newbie senior like me to learn about astrophotography without a 'hands on' mentor. Fortunately I found the SGL site early on and anything I have learned about this hobby I have gleaned from this great site. The members have been so kind and willing to help, even when I have asked (in retrospect) some silly questions.

I do have the best of both worlds here...excellent fishing in the day and beautiful dark skies at night.

We are a bit north of farm country. Many here are commercial fishermen, miners (further north) and trappers. The First Nations people here continue to harvest from the land....moose, deer, fish, blueberries, mushrooms, etc. Most of our lakes we can drink a cup of water from without any adverse consequences.

Cheers and clear skies

Roger

Ah that's right, there's a bit of Uranium strip mining going on up there if i recall :) Must be chilly! My family used to live in a little farm town called Richmond I think, they've since sold up to some dutch corporate that has bought half of canada and moved to the city to retire

Archived