Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equinox 120 Focuser

I would like to motorise the focuser on my SW Equinox 120 was hoping to use the SW one that I already have on my 200p but of course it does not fit. Does anyone have any experience of the Baader Steel-Track focuser and motor unit being fitted to this scope. I like the idea of the Steel-Tack as the motor can be added later, or indeed replaced should there be a problem with it in the future. Did think of the Moonlight but am I right in thinking this has to be purchased with the motor pre installed and the motor not easily replaced. Any advice from anyone who has motorised there Equinox 120 would be appreciated.

I made my own from an R/C servo and battery pack. It has a forward and reverse switch and speed control so you can go from "fast focus" all the way to "blip" for fine focus. The whole thing drives via a toothed timing belt directly onto the focusser knob.

post-4502-0-74474500-1364491189_thumb.jp

PS - I am thinking of getting a lakseide astro stepper motor focussing system for my birthday next week so that I can run true autofocus software. If so, I would have a skywatcher motorfocus system with bracket for equinox available. Happy to receive a PM to discuss.

It does fit, you need an adapter plate. Skywatcher don't (I think) sell one,

I've just fitted a Skywatcher motor to my 200PDS and it came with a couple of extra bits, apparently for attaching to a refractor.

Unless things have changed, the Skywatcher autofocus motor comes with 2 plates. Mog3768 already has one for his other scope, so he knows that neither of these fit the Equinox focusser (as per the photos in my link) - maybe they fit the 80ED pro?

Orion, the US arm of Skywatcher, make a scope called the EON - which is an Equinox but branded differently. They also brand the Skywatcher autofocus as the Orion acufocus. They make a bracket for it to fit the EON scope (link above) which fits the Equinox perfectly as can be seen by the photos in my link. I have two, one on each of my Equinox scopes.

Mog3768 already has one for his other scope, so he knows that neither of these fit the Equinox focusser

Assuming he kept the other plate, which not everybody does.

But yes, it's clearly a different plate. This is the SW one :

post-20390-0-16458700-1364499464_thumb.j

Archived