NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fast set-up for visual observation in Venusian conditions.

So, we in NW England now live on the surface of Venus, apparently, presumably due to that climate change stuff that's actually an eco-hippy conspiracy and not really happening at all.

Breaks in the cloud cover are so rare and brief that anything that takes time to set up, god forbid anything that requires multiple exposures over several hours, is going to be an incredibly frustrating goal, so for beginners, it probably makes more sense to try to adapt. Grab and go kit for visual observation is indicated.

For someone getting into the hobby, as opposed to all of those getting out due to lack of clear skies, it seems to me like a good setup might be something like a cheapish 102 Apo on a suitable alt az mount. Concept is something that can take advantage of limited opportunities to permit worthwhile visual observation with no farting about aligning, letting things cool down or humping heavy kit around and perhaps also able to do double duty as terrestrial lens. You may look at say an Altair Astro 102mm f7 triplet and see an expensive refractor, but I see a 600mm camera lens for a bargain price, albeit one with a fixed slowish aperture.

So with those parameters in mind, what sounds like a good set-up? Grab and go, minimal cool-down but still big enough to see at least most Messier objects.

(I started this thread because the title of the previous one was still causing people to assume I was asking about imaging whatever I'd said to the contrary)

I'm thinking maybe something like one of the Altair 102mm f7 triplets on a Vixen Porta II, but possibly that's too much telescope for the mount?

What do you suggest?

seeing most Messier objects will require decent skies with smaller apertures. not sure what your skies are like but presumably not too bad on some parts of Wirral?

the scope you mention would I'm sure be good. not sure about the mount.

personally I don't get on with fracs and use dob mounts. I can (literally) be outside with my 12" f4 dob in about two minutes and observing almost immediately at low powers. personally I feel that dobs of 8-10" are the most user friendly and rapidly set up pieces of kit you can buy. OK they are not terrestrial scopes but for visual I prefer to use at least 6" aperture. others will differ.

My "grab and go" scope almost matches your thinking - a Vixen ED102 F/6.5 refractor on an AZ-4 mount. I have had this scope on a Vixen Porta mount and it was quite usable although the Vixen 102 might be a little lighter than the Altair.

Shane is right though, there are other equally quick to set up options - I used a 6" f/5 newtonian on an AZ-4 mount a year or so ago and that was a capable combination and very portable.

Hi Druid,

My grab & go used to be st120 on az4, bullet proof. Impervious to snow, sand & dog slobber, transported in roof box, boot & back seat. Great scope to take on hols, also not a huge investment if damaged which has to be a consideration on a scope that gets a lot of travelling in.

Large enough apperture for dso's and small enough to be easily and quickly set up.

My grab & go used to be a Heritage 130p - I then had the great idea to upgrade to an ST102 with an AZ3. I have no idea what it's like as I very foolishly opened the two "empty" boxes that came with it. Yep - you guessed it - clouds ever since :(

An APO or ED scope gives better options for lunar planetary observing as well as DSO's since the false colour you get with faster achromats can be quite a disturbance to some. I have a few options for grab and go scopes. My preferred option is a 10" Dob. As Shane says it takes all of 2 minutes to set up. I also sometimes use a 6" Newt on an AZ4 but over the winter with the short clear spells (and with having a duff shoulder at the moment!) I have mainly used a TV Pronto with an altaz mount on a sturdy camera tripod. It is only 70mm, so a bit little for faint fuzzies but given the option a 100mm version would be just the job I reckon.

My grab & go used to be a Heritage 130p - I then had the great idea to upgrade to an ST102 with an AZ3. I have no idea what it's like as I very foolishly opened the two "empty" boxes that came with it. Yep - you guessed it - clouds ever since :(

I just got the slightly bigger ST 120 and AZ3 set up for a grab and go plus holiday scope. I have tried it during the day and so far so good, I like what I see.

The ST range are more for DSO's than planetary viewing but until I get the chance to see for myself I can't comment. Go away clouds!

Bill

Archived