Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

televue np-101 (or 101is) vs Stellarvue sv115te (or t) telescopes

The Televue scope, while no doubt excellent for observing is intended for imaging.

If you were observing you could pick up a TV102 much cheaper and it is every bit as good or better for observing.

I have no experience with the Stellarvue scope

The Televue NP101 is argued by many to be perhaps the finest 4" Apo available on the market today (though other premium manufacturers such as Takahashi, APM, Astrophysics Inc, et al may argue otherwise). Though it has been optimised for astrophotography, it is still ideally suited for visual use. You mention in your original post "not yet imaging" which indicates you may pursue that at a later date. The NP101 has an advantage there that the optical design will not need a field flattner as it inherently corrects for that by using two elements up front and 2 towards the rear of the scope.

Vic Maris at Stellarvue makes an excellent range of scopes (have looked through one or two), and certainly competes with the other big boys of the premium Apo world. If you did move into AP in the future, these scopes would require a field flattner so that is an extra expense to consider. I would note (from personal experience) that my 4.5" Apo (the TMB 115mm) seems to go quite a bit deeper than my 4" Apo (the APM 105) which is obviously of benefit when visual observing and the Stellarvue is several hundred $ less than the Televue. I am not familiar with the standard Stellarvue focuser, but the extra expense of the Feathertouch is in my opinion, well worth it. They are probably the best focusers on the market.

Another question I would have is where are you based? Reason I ask, is currently Stellarvue does not have a dealer network in the UK (shame) so you would have to import which means you would not benefit from dealer support and would be faced with the difficulties of cross boarder transactions and all that entails. If you in the US, though no problem at all.

In all likelihood, which ever scope you choose, you will likely be thrilled. It comes down to perhaps the NP101 just shading it optically (really small margins we are talking about, more often than not, the seeing conditions would be the limiting factor, not the telescope) to slightly more bang for your buck with Stellarvue and the larger aperture, and needing a field flattner if you move into AP, versus being ready to go with the NP101.

I am sure other SGL members will have opinions to share as well.

Clear skies,

As someone looking to upgrade to a 'premium' scope, I've been looking at the Stellarvue APOs. The US prices are very reasonable and I have a way of getting one without paying European prices (perfectly legit - just involves loads of hassle).

They come with a good reputation but the warranty bit is a concern. Wish they would appoint a UK distributor as I would buy one in a heartbeat. Fancy it FLO?

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Tried to buy one years ago when Altair Astro ranged them......gave up after 2 years waiting and bought an Astrotech. Shame because I am sure they are fabulous scopes, with excellent QC. Trouble is it needs to be a balance between good QC, meeting demand and also communicating properly with customers about how long they would have to wait. I went from an initial 3 months to 2 years still with no delivery date.

I am sure things have improved since then, but I think it was a significant reason why AA dropped them.

Stu

Archived