Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What cool images to get with only 200mm

Astrotrac ?

Nikon d700 ?

Nice pic rommel

Thanks 5D Mk3 and 70-200/2.8L and Vixev Polarie without aligning it with dedicated polar alignment equipment.

I was thinking of finding objects for imaging that can be found with that setup. Constellations, nebulaes or maybe faint galaxies. As long as I can capture more than just stars as dots.

Saying that, I am more interested in pretty pictures than of actually observering DSO.

So any more candidates other than M42 which could look pretty from a 200mm lens?

/Stefan

This is not the season for short FLs, really. It's known as 'Galaxy Season' because the MW is lying down and allowing us to see out to distant places. As summer comes the MW will be well placed. Large objects include;

The North America complex.

The Veil.

IC1396 framed with The Flying Bat.

The Sadr Region.

The Trifid with the Lagoon and other nebulae.

The Eagle and Swan together.

Then later on you can mosaic the Cone and Rosette together. That's a nice one for 200mm and two panels.

Cone%20Rosette%20200L%20lens-L.jpg

The Pleiades wide is also a classic at 200mm.

The Meissa Nebulosity in the N of Orion is rarely imaged. It's wonderful.

Have you cnosidered using a front aperture mask rather than the diaphragm to stop down? It avoids the multiple diffraction spikes.

APERTURE%20MASK-M.jpg

Olly

Polarie and 70-200 wow.

How many shots is that and what settings ? Great image without a polar scope !!

Paul

All were taken at 10s, F:2.8, 200mm with equal amount of Darks and Bias frames.

First day I took 15 pictures at ISO1600. This was my first attempt of really doing DSO. I stacked them in DSS and did most editing LR in 32bit TIFF mode. I found out that I had blown most of the nebulae core.

Next day I took 15 pictures at ISO800. Better result and much better core detail. Overdid editing. Not much really nice details in the outer realm of M42.

Third day I took the experience of the two first days and did 15 shots at ISO400, 15 at ISO1600 and 15 at ISO3200 and that picture above is the result cropped at 100 %. I seem to have overdone the sharpening outside the Nebulae. But thats easy to fix though.

/stefan

This is not the season for short FLs, really. It's known as 'Galaxy Season' because the MW is lying down and allowing us to see out to distant places. As summer comes the MW will be well placed. Large objects include;

The North America complex.

The Veil.

IC1396 framed with The Flying Bat.

The Sadr Region.

The Trifid with the Lagoon and other nebulae.

The Eagle and Swan together.

Then later on you can mosaic the Cone and Rosette together. That's a nice one for 200mm and two panels.

The Pleiades wide is also a classic at 200mm.

The Meissa Nebulosity in the N of Orion is rarely imaged. It's wonderful.

Have you cnosidered using a front aperture mask rather than the diaphragm to stop down? It avoids the multiple diffraction spikes.

Olly

Thanks for the tips, What is a front apertyre mask? I didnt stop down since the 70-200/2.8II L lens is excellent at wide open (at least on earth hahaha) Maybe I should stop down to F:4? Do you think I will benefit anything? Will loose the amounf of light with a factor 2. Thats bad!

/stefan

To get the best possible focus across the chip put the focus star at the intersection of the 1/3 lines (ie in of four possible places.) Even so a little stopping down will probably help considerably in giving better star shapes.

Olly

Don't forget the Heart & Soul Nebulae

Just right for 200mm

Dave

Thanks, just keep on giving me targets for 200mm!

To get the best possible focus across the chip put the focus star at the intersection of the 1/3 lines (ie in of four possible places.) Even so a little stopping down will probably help considerably in giving better star shapes.

Olly

I'll defintly try it out. Thanks for all the tips.

Rommel.

Are you shooting with polarie and no polar scope ? I'm just trying to justify the £249 price tag for the polarie scope !!

Paul

I only have the Vixen Polarie. So I'm aligning using the little view finder.

The Polar scope is quiete expensive. But I might invest in one anyway. dunno how it works thought. Is it better or not. Anyone used it?

/Stefan

Archived