Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Low power scope ideas!

I have taken my 10" dob out once since March first. Have taken my 3" dob out at least a dozen times since then. First view of saturn this year was through my 3". Still haven't seen it through my big scope. I did view it last night in my 6" though. Looked great as I can pull 2 moons and cassini with it no prob.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only had a 3” scope for the last year, have found plenty and really enjoyed it. BigMakStutov and swamp thing have spoken much sense in their posts.

There are advantages to small scopes too, I mean for the view not just the ease of use - a nice wide angle shows you Andromeda galaxy nicely framed with its two satellite galaxies, all of the Pleiades, makes it easy to see the full spectacle of the Coma cluster, Alpha Persei group, etc.

That's not to say I'm not looking forward to getting my 8” dob outside, but I'm keeping the 3" too. You don't throw away your hammer and your wooden mallet when you buy a sledge hammer, scopes are the same.

Thank you all. I made up my mind to keep this dob. Does anybody ever use celestron firstscope? Please tell me more about this scope, and whether the ep can be used in other scope or not?

• 1 month later...

Archived