Night time reading!

Well still have not seen the comet in fact I have not seen anything for some time! I have read my Sky at Night magazine from cover to cover several times so I was wondering what books people would recommend for novices to read to pass the time while waiting for clear skies. I am quite keen on the Solar System, the Moon and the history of astronomy. Alan

Try "Failure is Not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond" - Gene Kranz and "Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure" - Dan Parry. Both are great books on the NASA missions to the moon.

I find my Astronomy Now magazines really interesting. I also keep going back to my Guide To The Night Sky by Sir Patrick Moore.

Have just subscribed to Sky At Night mag but won't get it til next month so off out to buy this months copy tomorrow!

I found a copy of Patrick Moores 1957 'Astronomy' in a local 2nd hand book shop. When I was a lad (many years ago) I had a 1968 edition as a Christma present.

Do you know what, if you are an ameteur astronomer, the Mans advice is still very relevant. No matter what has happended with regards inter-planetary and deep sky (Hubble) work Patrick Moore's advice is still very relevant to the ameteur. May he rest in peace...

If you interested in the history of astronomy and science, I can personally recommend The Age of Wonder, which has a long section concerning William and Caroline Herschel, and The Sun Kings, which deals with solar observation. The story of how we slowly reached our current state of knowledge, with many mis-steps along the way, makes for compelling reading.

Archived