Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

satellite or meteorite?

looking at low power through my etx80 at a Messier open cluster object yesterday evening (cannot remember which) in north western sky. Saw a very fast object move straight across my FOV - I would estimate just slightly less brighter than jupiter that night. Any ideas? It moved extremely fast and didnt seem to have a tail? Do I assume I saw a satellite?

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've just had a look at the new satellite safari app. There's one called genesis 2 whose orbit seems to take it over us. This is where it is as of a few minutes ago. I've looked at the time feature but it doesn't allow me to go back by day. It could have been this. Screen shot below.

post-20507-0-31357000-1363544844_thumb.j[

sorry for typos- found the reverse time function in luminos app but no joy in identifying said object as satellite. very unlikely to be space station methinks

i just clicked on the dots on the map to see if any of the orbits came near us. That's just one I found.

Scooot just opened up sky safari and there are so manysatellites that I dont know how to begin searching for the relevant one.Similar priblem with my luminos app.

just re read this, it's not sky safari its satellite safari, a new app launched today

Another 1 koronus foton is just going past Capella now. If it was a satellite I don't think we'll ever know which one it was but I think this app would be good to identify any you think you might see at the time in future.

Archived