Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skymax 90 on AZ4

Butchless1

Hi All

Wondering if anyone can advise me...

Im looking to purchase a SW AZ4 mount for my Skymax 90 OTA- can anyone advise if I need to purchase an adaptor to fit the Skmax to the mount?

Also, does anyone know if I can swap my EQ2 head and AZ4 mounts between the steel and aluminium SW tripods that come with each mount set... so I can have both portable and sturdier options with interchangeable heads?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick, I'm pretty sure you'd need to mount a dovetail to the Skymax. I'd certainly need to for my very similar (although not Skymax) small Mak. The good news is that all you need to do is bolt on a dovetail.

AZ4 is superb, by the way, and perfect for a Mak.

The head of an AZ4 unbolts in minutes. I'll check at the weekend whether the fitting is the same size as an EQ2. I think it is, but I'm not sure.

Thanks Jon F.... also looking at an Horizon 8115 tripod, as actually I really set out for a lower cost but highly portable option, that started to drift.....(loss of project scope on my side)

Im weighing up all options...

Thanks Jon F.... also looking at an Horizon 8115 tripod, as actually I really set out for a lower cost but highly portable option, that started to drift.....(loss of project scope on my side)

Im weighing up all options...

A good camera tripod, like the Horizon 8115 should be able to take the Mak easily :)

A good camera tripod, like the Horizon 8115 should be able to take the Mak easily :)

Indeed, it takes the weight of my ETX90 Mak, makes for a very portable & quick setup kit.

It's worth mentioning the head is not great! It will let you see up to the zenith & it holds position okay, but there is backlash.

It's been a life saver this winter!

Chris

There's a L shaped adaptor for the AZ4 for scopes that have the photo attachment. The skymax 90 and 102 don't have standard dovetails so if you don't get the adaptor you'll need rings and dovetail for the az4. If you go rings and dovetail route it's easy to remove the photoadaptor from the bottom of the mak.

I took delivery of the AZ4 for use with my 4" mak a couple of days ago,I just got rings and dovetail for versatility. I haven't checked yet if it will fit my eq2 tripod (no time to play :( ) but will check tonight if I remember (if I forget PM me and it will show in my email).

One thing I have found with a photo tripod and my skymax 102 is that it could still be quite hard to balance as there is no leeway in the mounting point.

thanks for checking this, think i will go back to plan A, which was camera tripod route

Nick

no problem. tbh whilst you can never over mount a scope but an az4 is probably a bit overkill for the smaller maks. I got it to get a better scope which is still being decided upon :)

If you were looking at spending that sort of money though maybe look in to a nice geared photo head.

I found the balance point on my 102 mak was sometimes at the point of the photo thread mounting depending on what diagonal/eyepiece/dewshield combo I head. On the friction/push tripod I tried (wasn't great quality) it could still be sort of unsteady depedning on what i had on the scope

Archived