Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So THAT'S what they're for!

I've regularly seen pics of TAL reflectors with a big plate sticking out sideways at the end of the counterbalance shaft and wondered what on Earth that's for. Was just perusing AstroBoot and if they're to be believed it's a screen for solar projection. Mystery solved!

cheers been looking for one for my refurbishing job as i didnt get one with mine well happy lol....i also managed to pick up a genuine rack and pinion focusser off astrobuy yesterday so my tal will be in top condition after a respray and refit..

Still love the little tal, mine's bright russian red , what else could i use when referbing. Its massively underrated. The mount springs need replcing for stronger ones I found , and thats it.

A solar projection screen for a reflector? I wouldn't ever use it, it will be unsafe. All the heat from the Sun will bounce off the primary onto the secondary and start melting it, Achromats make far better solar projection scopes ;) (Less elements, heat shouldn't melt anything), using a Huygens eyepiece is also a good idea as it has no cemented elements (as the glue will melt). But obviously don't look through the eyepiece!

A solar projection screen for a reflector? I wouldn't ever use it, it will be unsafe. All the heat from the Sun will bounce off the primary onto the secondary and start melting it, Achromats make far better solar projection scopes ;) (Less elements, heat shouldn't melt anything), using a Huygens eyepiece is also a good idea as it has no cemented elements (as the glue will melt). But obviously don't look through the eyepiece!

i dont think there's anything to melt, it's all metal these have been designed for this use and have been sold with the tals for years, although i did think it was something for your EP originally..

not used one myself yet but is there anyone out there using this for solar projection, i even thought it had clips to add paper for drawings?

i dont think there's anything to melt, it's all metal these have been designed for this use and have been sold with the tals for years, although i did think it was something for your EP originally..

not used one myself yet but is there anyone out there using this for solar projection, i even thought it had clips to add paper for drawings?

Silly me, I forgot it was all metal construction.

I've used the 'tray' for solar projection for many years, on my Tal newts. Never had a problem.

I use simple design, cheaper eyepieces, just to be on the safe side.

Extremely clever item.

Archived