Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Panstarrs viewing location

harryt

Is it the done thing to ask where is a good place to view Panstarrs? I don't yet have a great knowledge of the observing sites in Surrey and have been racking my brains for a clear western view location. Surrey being the most densely wooded county in the country obviously does not help of course!!

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Harry

So far, all I have done is look on Google maps using both the terrain and aerial views to try and find a local west facing hill clear of trees and clear of hills beyond. In NE Surrey, that is proving easier said than done as I haven't checked any sites out due to snow on the ground and clouds in the sky. The weather looks clearer today so I might venture out tonight.

Minor brain-wave might be up on Epsom Downs overlooking the racecourse as the course slopes away leaving a pretty clear westerly horizon....

Good call.

I have taken some cloudscape shots from there and it didn't occur to me although I can't remember quite what the sunsetview direction looked like. I think it's definitely worth checking out - probably the far side of the course opposite to the grandstand maybe?

Thanks for the reminder :)

Lee

Just had a browse through your Flickr page - some amazing shots.

I am a complete Newb with just 10 x 50 bins, but have a decent tripod and a Nikon D60 with a couple of lenses, so wonder what settings you might consider best for capturing Panstarrs (if we get to see it!)?

Thanks very much.

I had a look around some other peoples photos where they had shared their settings and they varied quite a bit. I suspect due to the sky brightness generally. As it is only just after sunset, I would probably go for ISO400 at say 4 seconds with the lens wide open to start then maybe stopped down by one if you have an f5.6 lens or 2 if you have an f2.8 or f4 lens. As the sky darkens, I would increase the ISO up to 800 to try and keep the exposure time down whilst monitoring what I had just taken on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived