Collimation - Cheshire vs Laser

Hello, I've had my SW 200p dob for nearly 2 weeks now and I'm thinking about purchasing a collimator.

What do people here mainly use? a Cheshire or a laser? I'm considering getting a laser because it looks easier to do, especially for a beginner like me.

I found this HoTech SCA laser collimator on FLO (click on link below) does anyone own one of these?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/collimation/hotech-sca-laser-collimator.html

I use a HoTech laser collimator from FLO. Collimated to perfection in less than 5 minutes, both mirrors.

Self centering also helps alot as Cheshires held in place by screws suffer from slop which means your collimation may be out even if it looks good. Compression rings hold a cheshire should not introduce this problem though.

I asked this myself and went for the cheshire. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but can over the weekend. looking forward to the results.

Also, lots of people have followed Astro Baby's Guide To Collimation. I am joining them in learning how to do this myself.

Most laser collimators have the inset faceplate the same as a cheshire so that part in the article to wrok around this, although ingenius, is probably not really required anymore.

I find I get perfect collimation with mine, worth every penny.

Both have their place IMHO. You'll need to use the good old MK1 eyeball to get the secondary aligned using a collimation cap and then, I can heartily recommend the barlowed laser.

A Cheshire is very good and very accurate, but no use in the dark and you may want to check collimation through the night as the temperature drops.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Both have their place IMHO. You'll need to use the good old MK1 eyeball to get the secondary aligned using a collimation cap and then, I can heartily recommend the barlowed laser.

A Cheshire is very good and very accurate, but no use in the dark and you may want to check collimation through the night as the temperature drops.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. The barlowed laser is just the icing on the cake for me.

I asked this myself and went for the cheshire. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but can over the weekend. looking forward to the results.

Also, lots of people have followed Astro Baby's Guide To Collimation. I am joining them in learning how to do this myself.

Even though I was sure i'd see better after collimation, I'm still amazed at how much better. Took me about half an hour start to finish.

Astro Baby's guide is really easy. Just follow her instructions.

Am now looking at a laser as well for checking throughout the night.

Hz......it depends what the scope was like out the box. My 200 was collimated at the factory by someone wearing not one but two eyepatches who probably suffered myopia as well :)

I had to learn the hard way how to collimate an F5 and found so many guides were deficient, misleading or just plain wrong that I resolved to have a go myself so no one else would ever have to have the misery, or at least if they did I could at least rest easy knowing I had at least TRIED to help :)

The real pro on this though is the sainted Jason Khadder who never tires if helping newbies and exerienced folk alike with their collimation woes. He took pity on me and helped a lot and a do try and pass on the good but ublike Jason I am a mere mortal, nay tinkererer, and lack the time ( and if the truth be told, the patience) to answer svery collimation thread.

On the Cheshire versus Laser point they are horses for courses. With a collapsible Dob I would have both. A Ches for setup at home and fine tuning the secondary and a laser for primary adjustment in the field in the dark. If I bought a laser it would be the Hotech or a Glatter. Cheap lasers are a pain to work with.

With a solid tube newt and choce of single tool I would have a Ches ( and I do in fact) as its the most flexible, cheap, reliable way of getting collimation.

Lasers often dont perform well in the hands of beginners with scopes that dopn have a high quality focuser........and there hangs a tale. The best tool for collimation of the lot is a solid focuser. After ai upgraded to a Moonlite collimation got a whole lot easie because you arent fighting slop in the focuser and the results, both with a laser and a ches are far more reliable and repeatable.

I evaluated the ahotech in a review, FLO let me have a chance to review it before it was fully available, and I found it, when coupled to a good quality focuser, to acheive results as good as a Ches out the box. Like all lasers it cant do the seckndary to focuser alignment and for me, with a solid tube newt, there was no advantage to owning it. With a flextube or other collapsible dob it would have been the laser of choice for me.

I have two Chesires plus a collicap for collimation. One of the Cheshires is a shorty type which is handy for secondary alignment on some scopes.

Once it's collimated you shouldn't need to keep checking it all night.

Oops. I didn't mean constantly. I live in a rural area and some of the best viewing spots here are only accessible by 4wd. A few too many bumps are unavoidable so I love the idea of being able to check before I view without needing white light.

Sorry for the confusion :)

It depends on the scope. All my truss Newts need to be tweaked at least once over the course of a long night. As the temperature changes the relative positions of the mirrors also seems to change.

Not just truss tubes. I find the same happens with closed tubes - especially faster scopes. My f4 needs checking after a few hours - especially when the temperature drops rapidly.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Archived