NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3/9 and 3/10 2013 - Globs, galaxies and the jewel of the solar system.

Chihlidog

I finally got a "real" telescope on Friday, after being stuck with a cheap 70mm for years. Found a used Orion Starblast 4.5 on my local craigslist for a steal. Friday night I got home late and fumbled around a bit with it, since the finder scope was terribly out of alignment I wasnt very precise. I scanned the sky a bit, and saw Saturn rising to the northeast. Saturn is one of those special objects for me that I never get tired of seeing, so I made my way to it. Not great seeing, but there it was, clearly that pale yellow with its gorgeous rings.

I then went for M81/82, but it wasnt to be. Scanned and scanned, but I just couldnt bring them in. Im pretty sure Ive nailed M81 before, but just as a barely imagined averted vision phantom in my binocs. So I really wanted to see what the new scope would do. I gave up and decided that Id give it another shot once I had my finder scope aligned.

Next, I turned my attention to Hercules. M13 had been on my list for a while but especially in my light polluted yard my equipment would never allow me to see it. I found the trapezoid and fumbled the scope around a bit and suddenly I could make out a fuzzy patch - I let my eyes adjust, centered, and there it was. M13. Fairly large. Of course I couldnt resolve individual stars but I could absolutely make out is relatively circular shape and slightly brighter center. I looked for a good 10 minutes and it was direct vision, though barely. Quite pleased with myself for bagging a new Messier object, I called it a night.

Today I got the finder scope all set and waited and waited and waited for dark. First up were some old friends, I wanted to see how different theyd be in the new scope. I went to Orion. M42 was large and bright, better than I'd ever seen it before. Next, M45. Not as impressed as I thought I'd be. I still prefer it in simple binoculars. Then on to Betelguese. A bright orange point of sharp light, pretty much what anyone would expect, but I appreciated the clarity with my new, better optics.

Now it was on to M81/82. With the finder scope aligned I was able to get a better idea of where I started from and scan what I knew to be the right area. After some scanning, I thought my eyes lost focus for a second but, I realized, they hadnt - I had found the elusive pair. I centered and allowed my eyes to adjust. There, M81 was a circular fuzzy patch with a sharper and brighter center, and beside it an elongated fuzzy patch. Dim, but most certainly direct vision. I was so excited I called my wife outside. She doesnt engage in observing so I wanted to know what she saw. She looked, I asked her what she saw. She said "stars". I asked if she was sure. "Wait...I see...2 of something..one to the left, one to the right..." She doesnt know how to use averted vision, yet she saw them. I nailed them!! With a cheap scope from city skies, I nailed them!

Unfortunately, not long after some clods started rolling in, so I had to wrap it up, but overall I had some great experiences and I banged out a few new to me Messiers!

Lovely report, you should be able to see most star clusters and brighter globulars from your site. Try M38, 37 and 36 in Auriga,

bigger magnifications will blast through light pollution.

Lovely to share your enthusiasm, keep posting,

Nick.

exellent going . i remember you asking weather it was worth trading up from your old scope to the orion starblast. so do YOU think it was worth it ?

thanks for posting a report.

Rory,

The difference is astounding. Unquestionably more than worth it!! Eventually I want a larger one but this new scope has made a world of difference. The mount, the aperture, the ease of setup, everything about it is miles ahead of what I had.

next purchase might be a cheapish light polution filter, I too suffer bright skies and they do help, don't get a really agressive one just something that will improve the contrast. Also check your collimation is dead on, that will help on to resolve stars as points in the clusters

Archived