Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm broke but badly want more aperture. 70mm --> 4.5"?

Right now I only have a cheap 70mm scope. Ive always wanted more, but just could never budget it. Its OK for planets, but Im more interested in DSOs. I got M81 in as an averted vision object a few weeks ago and that's the best I've been able to do with my current scope. My 10x50 binocs are better at light gathering. I can get M31 in them as the faintest of smudges.

Here's my question. Theres a 4.5" Orion starblaster for sale locally that I could afford. Would it be worth it for me from my light polluted location? If it gets me even a few more DSOs then Id be happy. Would it be significantly better than my binocs at pulling in those faint fuzzies? Fighting the light pollution is my biggest challenge.

Any thoughts?

A 4.5" scope will pull in a lot more light than a 2.7" one - 4x as much in fact. For deep sky objects more light gathering is what you need so it will help you see more of them. I believe the Orion Starblast is a decent quality scope from the reports I've read on other forums. I think it will be a step up from the binoculars too.

If you can get it under some dark skies (they are very portable) even better !

Go for it, the Starblast had some good reviews in various forums and in Sky & Telescope. It occupied the same market position in the US as Heritage 130 (5") occupied in the UK. It's going to be a major improvement over a department store 70mm scope.

The Skywatcher Heritage 130p is the scope for you.

I don't think they sell Heritage 130p in the US. I think Orion US has exclusive on many Synta products. The only Skywatcher branded dobs they have is three flexitube models (8,10,12) available through Celestron.

I don't think they sell Heritage 130p in the US. I think Orion US has exclusive on many Synta products. The only Skywatcher branded dobs they have is three flexitube models (8,10,12) available through Celestron.

Up until last year, the Heritage Skywatcher 130p was sold in the U.S. as the Bushnell Ares 5 - exact same scope except for the exterior finish (all black). There was only one distributor - Optics Planet - who sold the scope for about $159.00, which was an amazing deal for a 5" Newtonian. Unfortunately, supplies ran out and this scope is no longer available in the U.S. Fortunately, I picked one up back in 2011.

On the attached pic, note the light shroud covering the open tube area.

I agree with the other posts for the OP post-19733-0-09037800-1362791003_thumb.jto pick up the used Starblast 4.5.

I went ahead and did it. An absolute world of difference!!!!!! Bagged M13 for the first time tonight, and in direct vision! Couldnt get M81/82 for some reason. Will be trying again tomorrow. Definitely a huuuuuge improvement. The mount, the optics, ease of use, everything is so much better.

Archived