Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2nd March 2013, Monoceros attempt...

KevUU

I gave it a shot last night, but didn't have a very pleasing time of it. *sulks*

Anyway here it is, such as it was.

2030 - 2130. Once again, forecast was clear but there's a cast of thin cloud / thick haze. Approx NELM varied between 4.2 and 4.7 :-/

I wanted to have a look around Monoceros, so started with Alzirr (down at the foot of Pollux). The area seems pretty well populated so gives a nice background star field :)

Went to the Christmas Tree cluster, part of NGC 2264. The main shape is obvious but no sign of the fainter parts of the cluster, nevermind any nebulosity from the Cone nebula part.

Then went for the first look this year at the Rosette cluster NGC 2244. Again, no sign of the associated Rosette nebula.

Despite the evident haze and its detrimental effect, I tried a few of the nearby clusters:

Collinder 97 seems to be a loose star chain, but wasn't giving much up. Collinder 106 is quite large - it nearly fills my 8mm's 1 degree of TFOV - but nonetheless was equally unedifying. I've noted those two down as 'murky' finds but can't bring myself to tick them off as 'observed' on that showing...

Well with the combination of haze and lack-of-sleep exhaustion I've had enough of that. A quick look at M44 - impressively obvious and dense but still not very satisfying - and inside :(

What is it with this haze? Everytime recently it's been there, so the sky never gets properly black. *sigh*

I did notice that the skies tonight pretty much line up with how they were when I first put the binos to my eyes last year. :D That was a few weeks later than this, but I was a few hours later last night than I would have been looking then I think. Pleasing to see it coming full circle.

Well, that's all, folks. Thanks for reading, apologies for the lack of substance but it was one of those unsubstantive nights :(

I wouldn't be too downhearted about the two nebulae. They are not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

The two Collinder's and the Christmas Tree cluster are nice additions. I've not ticked off the Collinders myself yet.

It has been a bit hazy over in Kent too. My viewing over the past couple of nights was probably a half magnitude down on perfect conditions.

Happy hunting!

I was out on the 1st and a have to say there seamed to be quite allot of moisture in the atmosphere almost hazy like very poor for viewing and most disappointing night as it was such a nice day you build up hopes just to get dashed. I did get a nice viewing of the big stripy planet but not much else very disappoint with last few nights.

Is it because of the temp change being so big from day to night, is this what makes moisture is so grate just now I wonder?

very poor for viewing and most disappointing night as it was such a nice day you build up hopes just to get dashed.

Exactly - spend the whole day looking forward to a clear sky and then get to the scope only to sink into the chair an inch at the murky view... I suppose with a bigger scope this effect is less drastic, but with my 3" the haze just kills it all :(

Sorry to hear you are disappointed. I would tick off the Collinders you mention as found, as your description sound about right. They are just very diffuse and unimpressive. Anaemic is the word I often use.

Yes I think anaemic sounds about right... Now I've read your similarly uneffusive descriptions of Collinders in the area, I think I might just tick them off as you say :)

Yes I think anaemic sounds about right... Now I've read your similarly uneffusive descriptions of Collinders in the area, I think I might just tick them off as you say :)

Even under good skies, they do not get much better. I think they were mainly detected by their proper motion with respect to the distant star field. Have you checked Cr 285 yet (Ursa Major)?

Have you checked Cr 285 yet (Ursa Major)?

Yes I did see that post :D I reckon I might have spotted it once or twice ;) I think I really might feel I was cheating if I entered Ursa Major into my DSO database...

Ah-ha, I like the way you think.

(I bet you haven't seen that many objects at all have you - you just have a hobby finding different catalogue references for the same old ones ;))

Archived