Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting North

In a few weeks we are having our back garden landscaped and in it I am having a dedicated paved telescope pad put in where I will be able to set up. Currently I have to set-up on the lawn which is on a slope and when I have been out for a few nights the ground starts to get chewed up and muddy. The new spot will be clean and level.

Therefore I was wanting to find out how to find due north, so once I have it I will be able to make some permanent marks on the ground and will be able to set-up in the same spot every time. I read recently that someone else had done this, but I cannot seem to find it.

Thanks alot

Ha,ha Digz,

Now why didn't I think of that;-) No. There are certain variations in the earths magnetic field if i'm not mistaken, so you cannot get it by using a compass alone. Or maybe I am talking rubbish?????

Ha,ha Digz,

Now why didn't I think of that;-) No. There are certain variations in the earths magnetic field if i'm not mistaken, so you cannot get it by using a compass alone. Or maybe I am talking rubbish?????

You are correct and a decent compass will have a rotating bezel which will allow you to adjust from magnetic north to true north :D

the stick and sun method may be more accurate. I think the best way is to mark the shadow at two times either side of noon and bisect the markings. I seem to recall there being some discrepancy between noon and solar noon, which this helps get over.

If you use the stick and sun method, make sure you are using the correct time, i.e. UTC, not British summer time, and possibly adjusted for your longitude. I would like to use this method myself, but unfortunately it isn't possible because we don't see the sun any more.

chris

Archived