NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Turf Hill, deep sky widefield.

cotterless45

Tucked away to the north east of the New Forest is this lovely very dark site.Last night it excelled. The Milky Way was a smokey ribbon from Cassiopeia, through bright Perseus,Gemini down to Canis Major.Castor and Pollux were hard to locate in the star field, the twins were upright holding hands.

I could see M33 and M101 by eye.The other main Messier clusters were also obvious, including a glowing double cluster. This is hanging by a chain of stars at x7.

Just with a pair of 7x50 binoculars I spotted the Flaming Star nebula making a triangle with M38 and M36. The Cheshire Cat was grinning to the south east of M38.

First time that I've seen all the stars of Cancer, the Beehive glowed and M67 was tight and compact.There was good viewing to Canis Major area M41,46,47,93 and 50 in Monoceros.

All the stars were there in the head of Hydra and M48.

Above Perseus there was black nebulosity between Stock2 and Kemble's cascade.

There was so much to look at, the constellations were buzzing with clusters and I caught the vast elongated Andromeda galaxy before it set.

Gemini was packed the base with M35 in a flurry of background stars.

There no breeze, no lights, just the occasional satellite . A magical night just eyes and a cheap pair of binoculars. It's worth going back to basic widefield and finding so much by eye,

Nick.

I think I could quite easily spend a full night doing naked eye observing at a dark site (dont think I ever will though!)

I was just about to pack up to head home last night but stopped for a quick coffee before I put any lights on and it was only then that the full force of the starry sky hit me.

I didnt have a notebook or sky atlas handy but drifted from constellation to constellation picking out naked eye objects.

On to Cassiopeiae and like you mention Nick the Double cluster glowed nicely but just up and to the right of the DC were two very large objects I'd not seen before. Compared to the bright white colour you often see with open clusters these objects seemed almost a 'milky' colour.

Later when I got home I checked what these 'milky' objects were and it turns out it was the Heart and Soul Nebula which have a reputation as being very hard to spot naked eye so I'm quite chuffed!

nice one nick!! how long drive is it for you? its about 30mins for me, ive only been out to TH once last year, but didnt really know what i was doing then so cant wait to get out there again!

i speak a lot with JNC71106 (jake) a lot and will probably head out with jake next time i get a chance to, be great if you could make it along too :) were there any other people out at TH last night then Nick?

also did you get any images? lovee to see them :)

Martin

"nice one nick!! how long drive is it for you? its about 30mins for me, ive only been out to TH once last year, but didnt really know what i was doing then so cant wait to get out there again!

i speak a lot with JNC71106 (jake) a lot and will probably head out with jake next time i get a chance to, be great if you could make it along too were there any other people out at TH last night then Nick?

also did you get any images? lovee to see them

Martin "

I visit relatives several times a year, TH is about 3 miles from where we stay. I've never seen anyone else there even on the most spectacular of nights ! It's a wonderful place. Will try and pm when we're down again.

It's quite a difference from where we live on the edge of town, just inspiring to see dark sky.

Sorry, but I'm visual there's so much to see. Just started sketching, it's quick and cheap, clearer skies,

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...

Turf Hill? Heh, I'm from Fordingbridge and we used to go up there walking at night sometimes. I never saw astronomers but we found people practising Flaming Pois up there once and what we assumed were either doggers or drugs dealers. It's quite sad - a lot of Forest car parks had to be closed because of people misusing them.

We used to observe from Dead Man's Hill on the opposite ridge. I'm going down there in early May so I might see if I can persuade my Dad to go out there for old time's sake. That's assuming winter ends at some point soon...

DD

Turf Hill? Heh, I'm from Fordingbridge and we used to go up there walking at night sometimes. I never saw astronomers but we found people practising Flaming Pois up there once and what we assumed were either doggers or drugs dealers. It's quite sad - a lot of Forest car parks had to be closed because of people misusing them.

We used to observe from Dead Man's Hill on the opposite ridge. I'm going down there in early May so I might see if I can persuade my Dad to go out there for old time's sake. That's assuming winter ends at some point soon...

DD

i can assure you there is nothing like that going on at Turf Hill anymore the police moved them on a long time ago all we have to deal with is dog walkers and the new forest ponies, you should come and join us one night we have official obs night twice a month with the odd ad hoc night during the week if the weather looks good, we have using Turf Hill for over 2 yrs now http://newforeststargazers.co.uk/index.php?sid=d9adad2f0d596db99d44020536ce7577

Archived