Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMOD in alt-az mode?

Does anyone know if eqmod supports the az-eq6 in alt-azimuth mode? I know (well, have seen reports) that it does in EQ mode, but I think I prefer AZ mode for ease-of-setup for visual work (plus the option to have two scopes mounted is attractive.

Richard

Thanks - all these different protocols and interfaces are a little hard to get straight (but I think I have it more or less worked out now).

I successfully used Stellarium to control the mount tonight, by using the serial cable that came with the mount, plugged into the SynScan handset (which was then plugged into the mount). I think in this mode (with PC-Direct NOT enabled on the handset), the handset emulates the NexStar protocol and translates it into commands for the mount. Seemed reasonably accurate, though I'll need a longer cable!

EQMOD (and EqMac) by contrast drive the mount directly without using the handset, using an EQDIR cable, and require that the mount be in EQ mode and polar aligned.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Although it is intended for Equatorial use surely eqmod will still control a mount in alt az and, at worst, just think that you are REALLY badly polar aligned?

Or can't the ascom driver just pass through to some astro software that knows the mount is in alt az?

After all it is designed to replace the handset but be more sophisticated and the Synscan handset can work in alt az. Also given that it can track objects that aren't just moving in RA at sidereal rate I would have thought it had the capability with a few tweaks.

Sorry for reviving an old thread. Although it is intended for Equatorial use surely eqmod will still control a mount in alt az and, at worst, just think that you are REALLY badly polar aligned? Or can't the ascom driver just pass through to some astro software that knows the mount is in alt az? After all it is designed to replace the handset but be more sophisticated and the Synscan handset can work in alt az. Also given that it can track objects that aren't just moving in RA at sidereal rate I would have thought it had the capability with a few tweaks.

EQMOD was desiged to provide a handset alternative for the EQ6 and HEQ5pro mounts - both of which are exclusively equatrorial. That it also works with the AZ-EQ6GT when in EQ mode is a bonus, but If that mount is setup for Alt/Az EQMOD will still drive the motors assuming they are aligned to RA/DEC -  so gotos will fail. Standard tracking will not work either as EQMOD will be driving the RAmotor only - for Alt/Az both axis need to be driven at constently varying rates. Mount limits, counterwight positioning, PEC - all assume an EQ axis alignment.

Yes, EQMOD is just software and as such it could be rewritten to do Alt/Az (significantly more than a tweak!) should anyone step up to take on such a task. In the meanwhile those astronomers with Az-EQ6GT mounts are best advised to just put them into EQ mode if they want the benfits of using EQMOD rather than waiting in hope for an Alt/Az capable EQMOD.

Chris.

Archived