NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dirt on my dob mirror ALREADY!

Hey Guys

Got the 200p out today to align the finder scope in anticipation of tonight's weather, however when I looked down the OTA to see if the mirror was ok I saw at least 3 or 4 spots of 'something' on it! I haven't even used it yet! It's been in my shed for a few days, with the cap on and the greenwitch cover protecting it! I'm not to pleased to say the least :( I even checked the cap and everything before I stored it for dirt etc. so this didn't happen :(

I was wondering if anyone knew what could have happened? And how to help prevent it in the future?

Thanks

The reality is that it will get dirty. :eek:

It was made in a clean area, where the air is filtered, temperature controlled and the place is hermetically sealed from the outside world. Your shed isn't. :huh:

When it has become colder each night the moisture will condense out, new moisture gets in. :huh:

Them spiders and bugs can and will get everywhere, your scope is a nice new home to many. :Envy:

When you unpacked it dust and dirt will have gotten in. :shocked:

I guess it was wrapped in plastic and sealed to stop stuff getting in, you removed all that. :huh:

When you set it up I suspect you were not wearing clean room clothing, and didn't have your hair in a protective cap, all that dust from you and your clothing. :rolleyes:

Concerning moisture I suspect that when assembling it you were breathing at the time, most of us do. :eek:

Advise you not to think about what will happen when it is in actual use - that condensation is mild carbonic acid = H2CO3. :grin: :grin:

You start to realise that the real world is a hostile environment for a reflector.

One possibility is to build a cupboard for the scope to go into, so the scope is inside something, that will have to be clean and painted/sealed internally to prevent stuff from the cupborad falling in, silica gel bags may help on the moisture aspect but you would need a good few and they would absorb quite a lot quickly when in a shed so would lose effectivness.

Yes I noticed it would get dust and dirt in but I didn't expect this much dirt (not just dust) this quickly :(

Maybe it's just my OCD playing up and wanting it to be perfect :p I was just wondering if storing it upright is okay?

I used to stand my newt with the mirror nearer floor level. Then I read here that quite a few folk recommend standing them the other way up when not in use so I now do that.

As to whether or not it makes much difference I don't really know, as my mirror just looks mostly dusty. Pretty much the same as it has always looked since not long owning it.

I used to stand my newt with the mirror nearer floor level. Then I read here that quite a few folk recommend standing them the other way up when not in use so I now do that.

As to whether or not it makes much difference I don't really know, as my mirror just looks mostly dusty. Pretty much the same as it has always looked since not long owning it.

I have been advised not to do that, so I don't know what to do now :p

I have been advised not to do that, so I don't know what to do now :p

You could store the scope with the tube horizontal. Although that will take up more space, less crud is likely to settle on the primary mirror.

But as mentioned, dirt etc on mirrors is a fact of life. I used to be OCD about it myself, but realized I could relax and enjoy the views.

Regards, Ed.

Archived