MEADE TELEXTENDER

faulksy

should have by meade telextender 2" x2 5000 series today cant wait, whats your thoughts on this compared to a normal high quality barlow or powermate ? should of said i have only had 1 barlow before and that was the celestron ultima, just hoping it will be better

I have two Meade TeleXtenders (1.25"), and they are very good. They are in the same league as my 2.5x Powermate, and like the Powermate they are so-called telecentric lenses that have a magnification (largely) independent of the distance between lens and EP (or camera in my case). The also do not change the eye relief of the EP, unlike regular Barlows.

They are about as good as it gets without going Televue and other more expensive brands. I used one about 18 months back along side my 2inch Powermate and for me I couldn't really see a difference. I would have one if I didn't already have the slot filled.

Alan.

thanks guys i remmber you saying mike that you had 1 and hoped you would add your input.hi alan i knew you was a meade fan, glad you couldnt tell the difference with the power mate, how well do you think my sw nirvana 28mm and my 40mm aero will barlow ? thanks

I owned a 2" Meade 2x Telextender for a while. It's performance was as described above. I used it with a Nagler 22mm and a 13mm Ethos. It worked well. In the end though I decided it was a bit too heavy for combining with what are already heavy eyepieces and moved to the Antares 2" 1.6x barlow which is less than half the weight. The TeleXtenders are well made though and come in huge boxes :shocked:

thanks guys i remmber you saying mike that you had 1 and hoped you would add your input.hi alan i knew you was a meade fan, glad you couldnt tell the difference with the power mate, how well do you think my sw nirvana 28mm and my 40mm aero will barlow ? thanks

Not really a Meade fan, but the TeleXtenders and the one EP I have had are and were good respectively. The 14mm only went when I got a Nagler 12T4, and the key difference was eye relief. My TeleXtenders are 1.25", and they work well even with 82 deg EPs (like the Meade UWA 14 I had, and the Nagler 12T4).

Faulksy,

I did have the same as a 40mm Aero that I bought in America, someone told me what it was the other day Astro Tech I think, but it was the same. I found it soft at the sides in my F10 LX. I was putting it against a SWA Meade 40mm, which for me a is a very heavy eyepiece. The Aero weighs less than half. I have to say it was much easier to sell, it went in 2 days, the SWA 40mm I still can't get moved on even after trying 4 different sites.

Now I think back I am not sure that I did not judge it a little harshly as I found I had a collimation problem short after waving bye bye to it. However how and why the Meade didn't show the problem I don't know. At F 10 it should have been good, maybe it was me.

I have to say I am not a big fan of barlowing long eyepieces like the 40mm, the 28mm should perform better.

Alan.

Archived