moonlite focuser problem

crashtestdummy

My 3 month old moonlite focuser seems to have become a bit sloppy.when the draw tube is fully out it is quite easy to rock it side to side and when viewing you can push the tube in quite easily if you lean in a bit with your eye.it just doesnt seem as positive as when i got it.will it just be the bushings inside that the tube rolls up and down on or something more?diy?really dont want to have to return it and be without it for ages

I have a Moonlite CR2 but it's the refractor version. Mine has 2 hex screws underneath with a knurled thumbscrew between them. The hex screws set the initial pressure that presses the drive shaft against the bottom of the drawtube and also the drawtube against the 4 bearings on which it runs. They should not be too tight though - it's the knurled thumbscrew that seems to apply the tension to hold heavy eyepieces etc.

I'd e.mail Moonlite - too much tension from the hex screws can crack the top bearings !

Its also possible thetension speing has gone. Mine failed and it just got worse and worse until it wouldnt pull an eyepiece at all. Be careful of the tension adjusters as putting ro much whoomph on those can wreck the bearings. No more than a quarter of a turn is I think the reccomendation. They are very senstive.

Mine had a weak spring tensioner and theres not much that user fixable with that. Ron at Moonlite was a star and fixed it for me for just the pstage cost with a more powerful spring better able to cope with heavy EPs. Apparently thay had a bad batch at some point I think he said.

So panic ye not, email Ron and you will find him ever ready to advise and help.

My Moonlite (used) had a cracked bearing when I got it. Ron was helpful and provided me with a set of 4 bearings, 3 spare eyepiece compression screws and some good instructions for a reasonable price - around $30 including shipping I seem to recall.

He even hand drew me a little diagram to help fit the bearings easily !

panic over,had a play around with the adjustment screws and tightened them a little bit at a time and now its much much better.backed them off a little but they are not even finger tight so i think that will be ok.i have heard that moonlite customer service is rated very highly which is why i went moonlite in the first place.big big thanks to everyone for the help,i love this forum :)

Unfortunately you cant fit the speing yourself, its interference fitted onto the shaft and crimped on from memory. I did tinker with mine but it looked like it was a no go and with Ron offering go do all the work for the price f postage it seemd not worth messing about and risking busting something.

Archived