Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First Moon

TonyD

Hello,

I didn't use a telescope - I haven't got a Canon adapter yet.

So I pulled out my old faithful Sigma 50-500mm "Bigma" with an additional 2x adapter, plopped it on the brand-new second hand 450D I bought today, stuck it to manual, opened out the aperture, ISO 800, shutter speed set to 1/1000, no tripod with me so braced myself against a wall, pointed at the Moon, manual focus and way-hay-hay!

post-27346-0-43093700-1361742877_thumb.j

Even the OH was impressed (finally :grin: :grin: :grin:)

This is going to be FUN!

Tony

Great image Tony! I think the focus is a tad off, but for one without a tripod it is impressive (and I've tried no tripod, first time wasn't great for me). You could always use an up-ended chair, although if you are taking a single short exposure, I don't think it's necessary.

The lens combo is a bit soft, ISO was high. I think the focus was as good as I could get it.

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

As Jules says, once I have the T-adapter and I'm ready to shoot out of my TAL I will really be able to have some fun.

I bought the 450D because of the LiveView feature. My old 10D doesn't have that.

Crazy - I bought the 10D kit from Jessops in 2004 for around £1000 and I just picked up the 450D body for £150. OK, the 450D looks cheaper, but it does the biz!

The lens combo is a bit soft, ISO was high. I think the focus was as good as I could get it.

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

As Jules says, once I have the T-adapter and I'm ready to shoot out of my TAL I will really be able to have some fun.

I bought the 450D because of the LiveView feature. My old 10D doesn't have that.

Crazy - I bought the 10D kit from Jessops in 2004 for around £1000 and I just picked up the 450D body for £150. OK, the 450D looks cheaper, but it does the biz!

So far I haven't needed live view to get focus exact, although daytime is a lot easier to focus with than night.

Under the conditions I think that's an excellent effort. I agree it's a bit soft, but that's how some of these lenses are, I guess.

All you need is a ball-head and bit of dovetail and you can use your HEQ5 as a tripod. Works very nicely for wide field images.

James

Archived