Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt at Moon with my Canon EOS1100D

geoff_k

Set up the scope early a couple of nights ago but conditions were a bit poor when I eventually got outside later.

Decided to eschew the laptop etc, and hooked up my DSLR using a 2 x Barlow to my Newtonian (Couldn't get anything at prime focus).

Used a wired remote but some shots were still a bit shaky. The attached is one of the better ones showing the Copernicus region. I have resized it down a fair bit from the original.

When the weather is friendlier I must try again and also hook it up to laptop to aid focusing. Makes an interesting alternative to webcam imaging at least.

Can't remember the exact settings as I was experimenting but I think it was ISO 800 or 1600.

post-483-0-78543200-1361558211_thumb.jpg

I think that's a pretty good first attempt, too. Is it a single frame or a stack? You should be able to get the EXIF settings from the image file. I'd drop the ISO setting down one I think, to try to prevent anything blowing out. If your image is a little under-exposed as a result you can always stretch the histogram in processing.

James

Archived