Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon - 20 February

Stargazer33

After finally bitting the bullet and getting myself a set of Bob's Knobs, I managed to get a pretty good collimation done on my scope last night and as the sky was clear I actually managed to capture some reasonable images of the Moon too!

I don't know what I am doing wrong but my system won't stack the original .jpg files or the RAW files that I have converted using PIPP into .tiff files.

This stack of only six frames was done using the .tiff files which I had to reduce from the original 4272 x 2848 files down to 1024 x 768 in order to get Registax 6 to run. Even using only 2 of the 4272 x 2848 files I got 'External exception E06D7363' error.

Anyway here is my VASTLY reduced stack.

I don't like the way Registax seems to produce a white outline around the limb when you use the wavelets tool. I have backed off the wavelets by quite a bit here in order to reduce the white outline, so it is not as sharp as I would like.

post-21511-0-38340100-1361483878_thumb.j

C8 XLT, CG5-GT, Canon 1100D - RAW files converted to .tiff in PIPP, reduced in MS Picture Manager and stacked in Registax 6

BTW, any suggestions would be happily received - apart from give up and take up golf instead! :grin:

That's a very nice image.

I crop my frames to 2800 pixels square in PIPP and Registax can handle that, but this is on a 64-bit Win7 laptop with 3GB RAM. What is the spec. of the machine you're using?

James

The transition across the Sinus Iridum is spectacular. Lovely capture.

The transition across the Sinus Iridum is spectacular. Lovely capture.

Thanks Tony, Now that I look at it after a nights sleep, I'm a lot happier with it. :smiley:

That's a very nice image....What is the spec. of the machine you're using?

James

Thanks James. My system is dual core 2700 processor with 4 Gb of RAM but running XP 32 bit, so I can only address 3 Gb of the available memory. I also have a NVida (I think?) graphics card with, I believe, 1 Gb of onboard RAM - but I can't swear to that as I am at work at the moment.

I did do an experiment after I posted last night and I managed to stack two .tiff files that I had reduced by only 50% so they were about 2136 x 1424, but it took ages to do anything. Even changing the sliders on the wavelets took 30-40 seconds to react.

I wonder if it is being 32-bit that is the issue in that case? I stacked about 60 of 120 lunar images yesterday with hundreds of align points and it took a few minutes, but wasn't a major problem. Or perhaps it's XP. I don't think I have an XP machine any more to try it on.

James

I was wondering if it was the 32 bit system that was the cause. I have been very reluctant to move away from XP as it is so established. I was of the mind that they must have ironed out most of the bugs by now! I know I will have to change some day when they stop supporting XP but all the new systems either seem so unstable - Vista! - or they are so resource hungry that you need 3 Gb of RAM just to run the OS! I don't need 27 different ways to open a window or have it fade in or zoom out. I just want my system to run the programs I want to run in a timely manner without crashing or hanging all the time. I know, I am asking for Nirvana! :grin:

I've been looking at my motherboard manual and it looks like I can get much faster processors, quad core, for it. I had a look on Ebay and there are some Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 1066 FSB with 8Mb L2 cash for about £50-£60. Max'd out on my RAM so that might get me a little bit more processing power for the bigger files.

Archived