NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WebCam advice

farren272

Morning all,

I'm looking to do a little bit more with my scope setup, probably only to get decent moon shots and blurry planets (for now).

I have the Skywatcher 200p Dob without any tracking etc, so I know my options are very limited.

However, can someone still recommend a good webcam? Are there ones that are specifically designed for this type of thing or will it always require me to 'adapt' them in some way?

Regards

Farren

you can pick up an xbox webcam cheap and convert it.. it's really easy i did it so it must be lol..

all mod stages can be found here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/131246-xbox-livecam-mod-cliff/

i did one and it cost me about £5 to do. i also have another one with a proper 1.25" adapter that is a relativley unknown make but has amazing light gathering properties in my tests, and does 30fps at 720p i will run tests on both when i've sorted my kit out and post the results..

Not really sure about dslr video i can't see why not though with the right t adapter.

As for webcams you don't really want to use eyepieces you strip the webcam down to the bare minimum and focus the image on the bare ccd and use either a 35mm camera film case or you can purchase a 1.25" adapter so basically your making the webcam your eyepiece you then process video clips and stack them to make one, hopefully,clear image of your chosen planet or object.

The Moon is far bigger and brighter than the planets. A DSLR is quite suited for imaging it. Generally though DSLRs aren't sensitive enough and can't sustain the frame rates necessary for planetary imaging. Have a go, but be aware that your results may not justify the effort :)

James

The 60D like the 550D Has a crop 640 x 480 video mode that uses the central part of the sensor and it uses all the pixels, If you can get the exposure right this is a very useful mode for the moon and planets, The crop on the sensor gives a useful zoom!

Archived