NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Forest last night (14th July 2005)

russ

Hi All,

Well Rob and I finally made it to the New Forest last night. The cloud looked touch'n'go at one point with mist and high cloud rolling in. But Rob was confident it would melt away and he was right...must have all that positive thinking that did it!

We then set into a hectic schedule of just trying to see and photograph everything. Always not the best route to take but fortunately the images came out okay. Focus slightly off on a few and a tad bit of trailing on some (i forgot to tightened the RA clamp in the rush).

So here's a quick look at what we did. Single images only with no real processing, certainly nothing stacked.

Some mystery objects to identify. All taken in a part of the sky i never see from home....the Sagittarius star fields.

First up - M15

m15.jpg

M13

m13%20new%20forest.jpg

Ursa Minor & Ursa Major star trail

star%20trails.jpg

Milkyway - 40secs on static tripod

milkyway.jpg

And another, this time 50secs. Just trailing.

milkyway%202.jpg

Rob and the moon

rob%20moon.jpg

Sunset with the Moon and Jupiter

sunset%20new%20forest.jpg

Mystery object 1

mystery%20object.jpg

number 2

mystery%20object%202.jpg

and number 3

mystery%20object%203.jpg

Will stack the M15 images later and also the nebula?

All the best

Russ

I think M71 would be right. We moved up a bit after the M17 image. M71 would be the right sort of place and it does look similar to other images.

We didn't have a star chart between us and it's an area of the sky i've never observed before. So a lot of guessing involved.

I've stacked the M15 and M17 images now. Didn't have as many images as i hoped. Always seems like you've taken hundreds but in reality only took 8 M17 images and 6 M15 images. Not going to make a great deal of difference sadly.

M15-2-PS.jpg

M17-2.jpg

Regards

Russ

Hi Rob,

One of the best observing sessions i've ever had......really enjoyed it! :)

And that Milkyway......WOW :shock:

Roll on August and another go.

As for your film, don't give up yet. I think there's more on the negatives than the prints would have you believe. As i said on the phone, we'll stick the negs through my negative scanner.

Plus i think once you use some really nice slide film (Kodak or Fuji) you'll be amazed.

Russ

Yes, forget the prints Rob. As I said on your other thread, most photo finishers haven't got a clue what astro photos are supposed to look like. Scan the results, as Russ says, and do your own processing on the PC. You'll get far more out of your negatives.

If I'd relied on prints being the end result of my efforts, I'd have given up astrophotography YEARS ago!

Glad you both had a top evening & that the skies held for you. Great set of results there, Russ. I particularly like the M15 shot - and of course my all-time favourite nebula, M17. :)

Ahh small problem with the last negatives. The lady had passed them to me by hand, thus they had finger prints all over them. I did try to clean them off with no effect....... in rage I binned them!!!.

I think better film next time, and just asking for nagatives is the way!.

The negatives should have at least been sleeved before being returned! :x

Although I know you've binned them, for future reference - TETENAL film cleaner, available from Jessops, can be used to remove fingerprints from negatives & slides.

Yep great tip Andy.

Btw how much is a decent slide film these days with processing pre-paid.

I always found the found the Fuji labs to be great for astro photos. Every photo framed regardless. And the processing spot on. The film itself is cracking if you like greens and blues.

Russ

For astrophotography I don't think there is a decent processing pre-paid film Russ.

You're better off spending a bit more on a film that produces results - and a lab that doesn't put finger prints all over your hard earned results!

Kodak Elitechrome 200 remains the no.1 film for astrophotography in my view. It's £5.85 from Jessops.

Sent off a roll this morning of E200 to The Darkroom. This is a very good lab (as Ant has confirmed on another thread here today) & the cost of processing is £3.60.

Not bad for a lab that takes good care of your order. :)

Thanks Andy.

Kodak like their reds from what i remember. Used it before and cracking film.

Are you saying Fuji have packed it in? :)

Provia and Sensia worked well. I always preferred Fuji over Kodak. That's sad.

Russ

Russ, Fuji Provia 400F (also 100F) were good films for astrophotography - especially galaxies.

Renown astrophotographer John Boudreau had some cracking shots, as you can see, on his website, taken with these films.

Alas, both seem to have been discontinued. Astroman reported this on another thread on this forum - and neither are available in Jessops any longer. :)

Archived