Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB port question

Marc1980

Good evening. I have 2 usb ports on my laptop. One currently used by eqdir and the other with my webcam. I am looking at picking up a gamepad but dont have a spare usb port. I am not to familiar with the whole com port stuff but if I get a usb hub will there be any conflict between the com ports?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

For your current purposes, a simple 4-way hub should be fine.

If you decide to use more devices in a USB hub, however, make sure that there's enough power to run everything. You can get a cheap 4-way USB hub easily enough, but the USB port it goes into supplies 5v, and this has to meet all the power needs of devices plugged into it. It won't run, for example, four webcams, as these would need more power than provided. To help with this, some USB hubs have their own power supply - I use a powered 10-way hub - but these cost a bit more.

To ensure tha the EQDIR gets a low enough com port, i always plug in the EQDIR module first - allow it to connect etc and then plug everything else in.

Nothing else is fussed what com port they get.

So I agree with the above advice, a powered 4 port hub will be fine.

Cheers

Ant

Archived