Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Time!

Virgin collimator here! I know everyone says once you've collimated once its simple & straightforward but it's that first time that's the problem. I'm not even sure it needs doing but when I see Jupiter the view is disappointing - I can see 2 bands (bit blurry) and the moons but was hoping for a bit more clarity. Maybe it's not in need of collimation, maybe its the standard eyepieces that come with the Skyliner 200 or then it could be the viewing conditions but it's every time :-(. Anyway, doing 'it' for the first time is making me jumpy - I've got myself a Cheshire and have looked at countless videos on YouTube, get the tools to hand then back off - I'll be a nervous wreck at this rate!

Don't worry! I collimated my telescope first time with no problems. I was a bit nervous, but it was easier to do than to think about.

I did use a laser collimator, so maybe that makes it easier, not sure.

I don't think you can go far wrong and if you take it easy and adjust a little at a time you shouldn't mess it up.

It is always recoverable... you aren't permanently changing anything that can't be put back.

Steve

I looked at various sites and guides when I decided to check my celestron 130. I used a cheshire from FLO and only adjusted the primary. It was a bit out and was easy to adjust. I now have lovely little doughnuts when I defocus.

I found the astro baby Collimaton guide really good and as long as you follow the guide steadily it is fine. I was a bit nervous too as it was my first attempt but it really was no problem. I used a standard Cheshire collimator as the laser type sometimes need to be Collimated themselves I felt something simple was a better option.

I have a 200 newt and was only seeing two bands tonight myself as well, the seeing was a bit in and out as well. I think more detail and colour would be available if imaging and possible through careful use of a filter. I aim to end up imaging one day but I'm happy to just observe at the moment.

If you're worried about collimation, just hope you never have to take the primary mirror out !!! My 130p's mirror got particularly mucky after a spell in a (what turned out be) particularly damp shed. I watched loads of videos and read loads of instructions, but I still put it off for weeks. When I finally got round to it I really laughed at myself for being such a wuss, it wasn't that difficult at all. The removal, washing, refitting and collimation all went surprisingly well (and I only used a film canister with a hole in the cap). Give yourself plenty of time and don't rush.

Hope this helps

if you use a cheshire and only adjust a little (1/8 turn) at a time you can't go far wrong, the first attempt is best done indoors and always with the scope in a horizontal position to avoid dropping screwdrivers allan keys etc on your primary mirror

I also had to take out the primary mirror for cleaning... it was covered with dust, fly droppings and cobwebs when I got it (£30 on ebay!).

Followed a tutorial on Youtube and it came up nice and shiny clean.

After that, there was no escaping collimation!.. but surprisingly easy to do.

Maybe I am lucky in having a cheap scope... I don't worry too much about wrecking it!

Steve

Archived