Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First atempt at imaging Jupiter

lensman57

Hi,

This the result of my first attempt at imaging jupiter from a couple of nights ago, it is reallly not very good so I would be grateful for any advice.

It was taken from my back garden using an SW Skymax 127 on a synscan mount, and an Opticstar 75C planetary camera. The processing was done in RegiStax and it was the 2nd time that I used this software so a lot to learn yet. The seeing was moderate with some atmospheric turbulance and a lot of moisture in the air as the the scope was covered in wet dew and had to be brought in.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-66878300-1361123107_thumb.j

I think that's a pretty good attempt. How many frames did you stack and what frame rate were you using?

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the comment, I am sure that I would get better. The camera is still new to me but I think it was at 20 frames per second,I have done another session tonight at 50 frames per second and see if it makes anydifference. I am not sure how many times I stacked it to be honest but there were about 160 frames, I tried to bring out the moons as it was really nice and the there is a moon in transit across hence the shadow, I am interested in the red patch at about 4 o'clock on the right edge of the band. Thre is a lot of detail structure lost in jpeg conversion as the camera records uncompressed raw files.

Regards,

A.G

I'm not familiar with the camera, but the "usual" way to get the moons is I think to capture them separately from the planet to allow different gain settings to be used and then merge the two final images.

20fps sounds quite a reasonable place to start with Jupiter, although more may be good if your scope and camera can provide good data. I think you could go for two or even three minutes worth of capture data to stack so you have several thousand frames to work with.

James

I'm not familiar with the camera, but the "usual" way to get the moons is I think to capture them separately from the planet to allow different gain settings to be used and then merge the two final images.

20fps sounds quite a reasonable place to start with Jupiter, although more may be good if your scope and camera can provide good data. I think you could go for two or even three minutes worth of capture data to stack so you have several thousand frames to work with.

James

Thanks james ,

I tried to do another session last night but couldn't get a decent image on the scope and for some reason the Go To decided not track as well as I wanted it to for a long exposure. I have learned how to set the camera to 50 frames now so if I get a clear sky tonight i shall have another crack at it.

Regards,

A.G

Archived