Cancer wide field

Not happy with the gradient on this one. I should tinker some more to see if I can get rid of it. I wonder if I might not have been pushing a bit too close to the third quarter moon at the time. I shall revisit this another time.

Anyhow, a stack of 15 subs of four minutes plus darks taken with the nifty fifty, f/3.6@ISO800 and unmodded 450D on my motorised but unguided EQ3-2. M44 centre shot, and M67 (I think) towards the bottom of the frame.

cancer-2013-02-02.png

James

Nice one James , it's a difficult line to draw when you try & squeeze all you can out of your work, did you run it through PixInsight ?

I noticed on my shot's James that im getting gradient & LP as well purley because of the moon as both night's it's been on the bottom right corner which is where the moonlight was coming from but PI got shot of the bulk of it.

Nice count of stars you have though, that fifty is one i will probably get in my kit this year but collecting some other bits first.

I'll be guessing that you have a pretty good dark site though James ?

I'm holding off on buying PixInsight at the moment. I probably will eventually, but I've managed so little imaging over the last six months that I've not yet justified it.

It is very dark here in the main, yes. This Auriga image was taken on the same night, immediately before this one. There are no filters in the optical train and I didn't move the black point up hideously aggressively in the histogram or anything like that. What you see there is pretty much how dark it is. People have to stop in the Middle of Nowhere just to ask for directions to find us :)

James

Archived