Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Daft question about DSS

broadsword

This might be an incredibly thick question, but can DSS stack images the wrong way up? I ask this because when I orientate my DSLR vertically on the scope the images are shown in the camera preview screen and on the Canon files on my PC also vertically aligned, as if the camera has a position sensor in it. So, depending on how they are rotated by DSS they could be stacked upside down relative to the darks and flats. Of course this is all irrelevant if the images have up down info embedded.

One reason I ask is the last image I took had a large number of those coloured rows of dots, which I think are hot pixels which haven't been detected or subtracted off?

The camera will reorientate the image in the viewfinder as it assumes you want to see your "normal daytime" image the right way up! It does not rotate the actual image on the sensor. As long as you take your lights and flats with exactly the same orientation (ie don't touch the camera between taking both sets of images) then DSS will stack them correctly. DSS also aligns your darks correctly as all images have a "top" no matter what orientation you put the camera in. It has to know which is which in order to be able to "see" the bayer matrix - the coloured pattern of filters that give you the coloured image from your camera.

Archived