Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where can I get a USB on/off power switch?

michaelmorris

I want to fit some USB laptop lamps into my observatory to provide very small task lights. The problem is that these lights never have an on/off switch. Does anyone make a generic plug in on/off switch to use on USB devices. I would envisage something with USB plug at one end and a USB socket at the other, with a switch in between.

It's easy enough to insert an inline switch into the cable. Maplin would have something suitable.

Ron. :smiley:

I quite agree Ron all that is required is to splice a switch into either the +5v or the return line.

To make it tidy you could purchase a switch a small plastic box and a strip connector block from a place such as Maplins. Cut the cable in two then strip the ends of the wires. Using a multimeter measure the continuity to either the +5V or 0V pin of the USB plug to identify the power wires. Then put the switch inline with either the +5V or 0V and remake all the other connections with the stripblock.

Heres a link to the pinouts of various types of USB connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinout

But...but... USB is hot-swappable! Why not just pull the plug? Maybe I am missing something...

Yes. The little swan neck laptop light I'd like to use has no base. The ende of the swan neck is the USB plug. The result of this is that if you want to turn it off, you have to remove the whole light. I want to be able to leave the light in place and simply turn it on or off with the flick of a switch.

Archived