NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polycoated piling tube for a 10" scope build - thoughts please?

Chris

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be a bit wary of the rigidity of the spiral wound tubing but the clip pipe going to 1.5M lengths looks very useable and at a good price. If you do go for the clip pipe try not to cut off the bell ends as they will give some extra hold for the roundness of the pipe.

Nigel

Starfox,

The clip galv looks good and is very cheap 500mm lengths - good range of diameters for the more ambitious telescope builder.

Also found this uk company for phenolics, carbon and glass fibre tubes -

http://langtec.co.uk/

Jake

Hi Jake:) yeah I'm quite tempted by a 1.5 metre length of that clip pipe, its almost worth just giving it a go for how cheap it is:D

The link looks very interesting thank you:, I've added it to my list of emails and phone calls to make:)

Here's one for the more ambitious Dob maker!

mica%20tubes%201.jpg

I wonder what Moonshane's got planned for the next few months!

hehe makes shanes 16" look like a travel scope! the optics for that tube might have a tad bit of coma though:D

I would be a bit wary of the rigidity of the spiral wound tubing but the clip pipe going to 1.5M lengths looks very useable and at a good price. If you do go for the clip pipe try not to cut off the bell ends as they will give some extra hold for the roundness of the pipe.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel I'll steer clear of the spiral then I'm not keen on the spiral effect anyway:) I agree about the clip pipe it looks like it might be worth a go!

The tube dimensions for my mirror off the Skywatcher site are 1120mm x288mm therefore 1500mm tube might be a bit long without cutting down one end, certainly too long to fit in my obsy 1120mm might be pushing things in my obsy so it might become a dob intstead of an imaging scope.

Option 1) use 1.5m length as a whole and build a dob with built in dew shield.

Option 2) cut down one end and use that end for the mirror cell so that the circular structure is re-inforced by the cell, and leave the open end with the flange intact for support there.

Its a shame the 1 metre pipe wouldn't work, I think the primary to secondary distance will be around 980mm though.

Hi, I think Telescope Service sell telescope tubes.

http://www.teleskop-...rts.html/page/2

& scroll down to GSO Guan Sheng Optical and they have tubes such as GSTU250f5

I guess this is for a 250 f5 mirror, price 25 Euros + postage.

Thats amazing Thank You!:) I've just ordered the 303mm x1130mm ali GSO tube and the front strengthening ring and cap, grand total 86 quid inc delivery! Brilliant! :)

I don't even know how I missed this other than it doesn't show the details for the English translation site of TS, even just before paying it said 1x front ring, 1x cap, and 1x ______ (nothing?) but it had the correct price next to it of 25 Euro's so I'm guessing the order was ok.

Thanks again for the link:)

Chris

Archived