Cannot connect to APT????

nephilim

I've just got my 2nd hand Canon350D & when i first hooked it up to my laptop & APT, i hit the 'connect' button & it was fine, I've now tried again and 'nothing' for some reason it wont recognise the camera. The 350 came with no software so I installed the drivers from Canons site & something called 'RAW Codec' (have no idea what this does) Now be aware that im a total luddite when it comes to tech so simple terms would be easier to decipher :grin: Ive followed the instructions regarding connecting to the PC such as moving the dial to 'M' & communication to 'PC' but now I'm lost. Any advice would be welcome as this camera is getting very close to 'countdown to launch' (out of the window).

Steve

I take it both leads are ok?

have you tried opening the serial lead connector to see if everything in there is still attached?

have you a different camera you could try with APT to see if its the program? You could try uninstalling it and trying again?

You may need the help of someone specifically familiar with the 350D, but I'd try disconnecting everything, rebooting the computer, removing and replacing the battery in the camera and starting from scratch all over again.

When I power up my 450D the laptop actually opens up a Canon application for managing photos that I shut down, but at least I know the camera is there and talking to the PC. Is there another app you can try to see if the connection is ok?

James

I'd try disconnecting everything, rebooting the computer, removing and replacing the battery in the camera and starting from scratch all over again.

I agree with James :)

Also make sure that you are using the right version of APT. This summer Canon dropped the support for 350D, so now APT has two editions 2.10" (second) for Digic II cameras and 2.10 for the rest...

Have a pleasant time under the stars!

I take it both leads are ok?

have you tried opening the serial lead connector to see if everything in there is still attached?

have you a different camera you could try with APT to see if its the program? You could try uninstalling it and trying again?

Hi Mike,

When u say 'both' leads i'm only using the usb one that plugs from the camera to the laptop, its not even the one supplied as i bought it 2nd hand & with no leads, the lead I've got is from god knows what, it just fit :rolleyes: There are probably gasps of 'fool', doing the rounds now haha, but like i said I havnt the first idea when it comes to DSLR's. It just seemed strange that it worked first time & not after. I'll do as James has suggested & starting over but by the sounds of it theres another lead needed somewhere?

Steve

Btw, my laptop does recognise that the 350D is there?

What OS system are you running? But then if you can see the camera and open its files in the computer, that should be fine, just a thought.

I didnt think there were drivers available on win7

I get a comms problem sometimes but if i just unplug the USB then plug back in and wait for the open folder box to pop up then APT will see it

I agree with James :)

Also make sure that you are using the right version of APT. This summer Canon dropped the support for 350D, so now APT has two editions 2.10" (second) for Digic II cameras and 2.10 for the rest...

Have a pleasant time under the stars!

Hi, I tried your suggestion & realised i'd downloaded the wrong version, i've now downloaded the digitec II version & pressed 'connect' & bingo!! up & running. All I need now is my T-ring to arrive & i'll hopefully be able to give it a go. Thanks for everyones help & its good to know theres good helpful advice when things go wrong :grin:

Steve

What OS system are you running? But then if you can see the camera and open its files in the computer, that should be fine, just a thought.

I didnt think there were drivers available on win7

I get a comms problem sometimes but if i just unplug the USB then plug back in and wait for the open folder box to pop up then APT will see it

I'm running an old win vista 32bit laptop

Hi, I tried your suggestion & realised i'd downloaded the wrong version, i've now downloaded the digitec II version & pressed 'connect' & bingo!! up & running. All I need now is my T-ring to arrive & i'll hopefully be able to give it a go. Thanks for everyones help & its good to know theres good helpful advice when things go wrong :grin:

Steve

Good news!

If you have questions, just ask :) Will give my best!

you'll need a serial cable as well as the USB lead in order to do exposures longer than 30 seconds. I believe that's correct. I hope it it anyway other than I wasted my money buying an extra cable for my 350d...

I hope you get it working properly, I still can't get sessions to run to plan...but that's on a separate thread!

you'll need a serial cable as well as the USB lead in order to do exposures longer than 30 seconds. I believe that's correct. I hope it it anyway other than I wasted my money buying an extra cable for my 350d...

I hope you get it working properly, I still can't get sessions to run to plan...but that's on a separate thread!

Ah,yep, you havnt wasted ur money, I did read about needing that to use bulb mode (longer than 30secs) Yet another thng to get :shocked:

Steve

Archived