Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Image request/challenge , is this real brown stuff?

Can't seem to get the colours right, using some Ha, SII and OIII subs I took with a remote telescope as comparisons to my dslr image - anyone fancy a challenge?

The first DSLR image seems to show more red and brown where I think they should be, (see Ha + SII integration image taken with remote telescope - notice the Ha in running man)

The second DSLR image is based on the colours from other peoples images (ie I adjusted to copy other peoples colours, but my own images)

The 1st greyscale is an Ha & SII composite and the last is a stacked luminosity (using these as references)

unmodified file available on request (all bodging done in PI)

post-9935-0-20765500-1360863457_thumb.pn

post-9935-0-82418800-1360863538_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-80527300-1360864187_thumb.pn

post-9935-0-73003400-1360865305_thumb.pn

The thing is, I think, that outside the main nebula you don't really have much data. Things are happening there. There are shapes in the outlying dust but you need more signal to pick them up. The quick way to get them is in Ha. When combined with colour this will give you rather red outlying dust. To get them in RGB is a long haul but they are there, though in RGB you need a dark site. This had a very long time at a very dark site at a very fast F ratio! http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-rNfQT5R/0/X3/M42%20WIDE%202FLsV3-X3.jpg

If you want to try to drag them out of your present data I'd stretch the Ha till it squealed.

Olly

Thanks Olly,

As you point out there is only 10 mins+ of data and I'm already making it squeal :grin: , I can see faint patterns in Pixinsight which tend to get degraded when converted to 8 bit for publishing

Hopefully if I ever get to see a clear sky this year then I can learn from my mistakes but trouble is I don't get enough practise

• 4 weeks later...

Archived