NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ mount for Skyliner 200p OTA

I'm thinking of setting up a pier in the back garden with a equatorial mount to take the OTA from my Skywatcher Skyliner 200p dob. This set up will just be for easier tracking when observing visually not for astrophotography so I'm wondering what sort of mount I will need to take the tube. Will an EQ5 be ok.

I would appreciate any views / advice.

John

Thanks for the info guys. I just want to check though, the ota that comes with the dob version has a longer focal length than the 200P that comes with an EQ5 as standard (1200mm as opposed to 1000mm) so will this still be ok?

John

I know you say for visual but I'm pretty sure that you'll soon be popping the 1100D on the scope . . . :rolleyes:

By the time you get to the stage of guiding you'll find the EQ5 out of it's depth I fear .

Would recommend the extra few quid and going for the HEQ5Pro , you'll be future-proofing yourself.

Will a cg5 gt also do the job? With a camera attached as well?

Have been using the 200p on a CG5 on and off the last six months, have not found a problem, in actual fact I will be using it on a permanent basis in the garden observatory when I get a chance to set it all up.

Jim

EQ5 doesnt cut it for AP with 200P ... yes it is possible but you ll end up throwing away 50% of subs just cos of the mount

any gust of wind and sub is ruined.

imo it is worth the extra cash for at least HEQ5 if not EQ6

EQ5 doesnt cut it for AP with 200P ... yes it is possible but you ll end up throwing away 50% of subs just cos of the mount

any gust of wind and sub is ruined.

imo it is worth the extra cash for at least HEQ5 if not EQ6

The OP isn't doing AP,just observing.

As for the HEQ5/EQ6 comment,for most of us this is a hobby and as such don't warrant spending vast amounts on kit at this moment in time.I'll point you to a post which sums up the EQ5 vs the HEQ5/EQ6 argument:

http://stargazerslou...t/#entry1820396

The OP isn't doing AP,just observing.

As for the HEQ5/EQ6 comment,for most of us this is a hobby and as such don't warrant spending vast amounts on kit at this moment in time.I'll point you to a post which sums up the EQ5 vs the HEQ5/EQ6 argument:

http://stargazerslou...t/#entry1820396

ah didnt see hes not doing AP

as for the post ... I dont agree with it ... for AP EQ5 is just too frustrating to me the difference in cost of EQ5 and EQ6 is what about 300eur ? thats hardly vast amount of money for what you getting and if I was buying my gear again i wouldnt buy EQ5 for sure thats just my point of view

and thats what SGL is here for i guess to bring ppl opinions to others so they can decide for themselfs from others experiences and not doing same mistakes

The EQ6 syntrek is £840 & the EQ5 £235, thats £605 more ( which IS a vast amount of money for many people). Alot of people cant afford to spend nearly a grand on a single mount no matter how much better it performs. For people like myself who cant afford it they make do with what they can, for me modding the EQ5 for guiding my 200p which quite a few people are doing with some very good results indeed.

Yes I agree that people need to know which kit will give the best results but its also good to know that there are cheaper ways of doing it, we may not get the very best images from doing it this way but the images we do get will be more than worthwhile as a considerable amount of hard work, time and patience has gone into getting those results.

Steve

Steve Ward suggested that the OP might want to do AP sooner than he thinks so maybe he knows the OP? The EQ5 is not good enough for AP with a 200 Newt but will do visual. Once AP has been mentioned I think it's worth saying that in the discussion, but if it really is visual then, yes, the EQ5 is OK.

Personally I don't like Newts on GEMs for visual and would rather have a tracking Dob. This is simply because the flip can put the EP in bizarre locations and this means a rotation of the tube. Just a thought.

Olly

u cant compare mount without goto and with goto ...

But your the one comparing non goto with goto by telling the OP he needs either a HEQ5 or EQ6 rather than a bog standard EQ5!!The price difference is vast,well it is for me

I ment for AP.

same as olly here said for visual EQ5 is fine for AP you need GOTO mount so if you want to compare mounts for AP you have to compare goto mounts

http://astrocasto.blogspot.co.uk/ All acheived with a 200p on an EQ5 & later an ED80 on an EQ5.

Steve

Never said that it cannot be done on EQ5 as you can see in my Sig i have EQ5 aswell and do a bit of AP too

But the amount of frustration with EQ5 and ruined subs cos of wind to me is not worth saving 300eur on mount

NO NO!!! Please dont think I took those images :eek: These were taken by Quatermass, its his blog & his hard work that is inspiring me to do the same thing (sorry for any confusion there) I'd never knowingly pass off other peoples work as my own!. I'm doing it this way as I cant afford any other way at the moment, I was just showing what can be done with a lot of hard work.

Steve

Archived