Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can I use a focal reducer on a 200mm Explorer

beamer3.6m

I want to increase the field of view I get with my Toucam when I attach it to my 200mm explorer and I have seen an Antares x 0.5 focal reducer for £30.00.

However I know that reflectors can be tricky with focal reducers in terms of inwards travel ofthe focuser.

Has anyone used the 0.5 with the 200mm explorer. I do not want to move my mirror up the scope as this is way to much hassle.

It's a little tricky but possible.

If you're going to try it you'll need to replace the standard high profile 1.25" focuser extension with a low profile version. You're also likely to need a shorter than standard webcam adapter.

bern

Yeah, what Bern said. Give him a call and he'll sort the bits out for you. Without different bits it won't work.

Basically you will find that you can't get the camera moved inwards enough, especially using the standard length camera nosepiece. If you shorten the nosepiece (or get one off Bern), it reduces the effect of the FR which gives you a fighting chance. Then you need to reduce the length of the tube that the nosepiece sticks into, bern has a VERY short version of these.

Plan B is to unscrew the tube that the nosepiece slides into off the focuser adapter, take out the thumbscrew, and screw the tube back onto the inside of the adapter. This way you can drop the camera in, but there's no simple way of holding it in firmly. Crude, but effective.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived