NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Samsung scb2000

shirva

Ok.folks..new questions. ...and opinions on above camera and with this being the camera of choice for a lot of video astrophotographers should be tons of feedback.

1..removal of ir filter or not

2..settings. .what gets best results

3..best subject captured and how was it achieved

4...filters. .do you use them. If so what types and makes. .what they were used on

Loads to talk about here..jump in

hi, I have one of these and removed the IR filter (quite easy, lots of instruction on the net). I then got a cheap 1.25" LP filter, took it out of its housing, ground it down a bit to make it smaller and fitted it into the samsung begind the little chrome ring which the lenses screw into. As for settings, I use exposure (2x, 12x etc) to set the integration. I use a c-mount to Canon EOS adapter, so I can mount my 55-250mm zoom lens and mainly use it for guiding. However, I did get some nice colour deep sky stuff which I was able to show my kids on a monitor, of Orion and somewhere in the Milkyway (just point it at a dens patch of stars and there's usually something interesting to look at). There are some other settings, which I can't quite remember of the top of my head as I don't mess with them usually.

1..removal of ir filter or not - yes, Ha objects are definitely enhanced but be aware you'll have to fit an IR cut filter to your scope or you'll get bloated stars

3..best subject captured and how was it achieved - For 'live' viewing - Nebulae such as M42 or planetery nebulae such as the ring or dumbell nebulas. Galaxies are underwhelming. full or near full exposure (x 256 times)

4...filters. .do you use them. If so what types and makes. .what they were used on - best filter is probably the Baader Neodymium (with IR cut) filter.

Hi

Globulars such as M3 M5 and M13 are impressive with the SBC2000 - not had much luck with galaxies.

I use manual exposure - start with the noise reduction OFF - if you have poor tracking this can cause smearing.

Getting targets on the chip can be a challenge depending upon the focal length you re working at.

F4 or there abouts seems to work well - much over this and the camera struggles on DSOs. So a reducer may be necessary.

Let us know how you get on.

HTH

Paul

Brilliant folk ..let's keep it going..by adding where you sourced equipment. .like the eos adapter. .the badder filter and what kind of prices paid...maybe folk will take an intrest in the video forum. .don't just put in your highlights lets get the lows as well *** even homer Simpson moments****...the more posts the better the forum will get.

Ordered a cs lens to play around with for my ccd cameras ..will try on the watec 202d that is no use in my opinion for astronomy and on the Samsung scb2000 that I'm waiting on arriving. ..Honeywell ...hml28v8f95 2.8 - 8mm f0.9 1/3 cs manual bnib....intentions of using in several ways...mount piggyback on 8" newt with canon 400d ...or piggyback on st102 and use spc900 and compare results....Samsung camera taking its time to arrive. ...gives me time to make power leads up for my set up...since clouds/ fog being a pain...

• 3 weeks later...

Tried a home brew job took a 80mm Minolta lens and drilled through rear end cap and put it against my Samsung scb2000 could not achieve a focas with it..had looked out for adapter you got ..was unshure if it would work..can get a large cs lens for the scb2000 from Hong Kong cheaper than adapter. ..got my new scope ed80 dslr pro kit and was messing around with it ..moved scope rings to put the camera screw fit to front mounted the scb2000 with 8mm cs lens 9x50 finder and it looked pretty neat ..so thinking about converting finder scope to take spc900 webcam as a guide scope..scb2000 for widefield video and canon 400d on main scope. .rather than piggyback st102 on the eq3/2 pro.....will keep weight down big time..will need to try and see how bad video camera shake is when shutter on dslr kicks in and out...think high film rate might be ok...

Tried a home brew job took a 80mm Minolta lens and drilled through rear end cap and put it against my Samsung scb2000 could not achieve a focas with it..had looked out for adapter you got ..was unshure if it would work..can get a large cs lens for the scb2000 from Hong Kong cheaper than adapter. ..got my new scope ed80 dslr pro kit and was messing around with it ..moved scope rings to put the camera screw fit to front mounted the scb2000 with 8mm cs lens 9x50 finder and it looked pretty neat ..so thinking about converting finder scope to take spc900 webcam as a guide scope..scb2000 for widefield video and canon 400d on main scope. .rather than piggyback st102 on the eq3/2 pro.....will keep weight down big time..will need to try and see how bad video camera shake is when shutter on dslr kicks in and out...think high film rate might be ok...

hi, have you got this link to the large CS lens in Hong Kong please?

Archived