NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What size of telescope will show both Uranus and Neptune as discs?

Matt1979

I have heard that to see Neptune as a disc, a 6-inch reflector is needed. Have any other members been able to see Neptune as a disc with a telescope this size?

I am unsure how much magnification or what size of telescope is needed to show Uranus as a disc. I use a Celestron 3-inch refractor with a 2x Barlow Lens (x72 magnification) and when I saw Uranus in August 2010 near Jupiter, it looked like a greenish point of light and appeared to look similar to Jupiter's moons, ie. it appeared near and didn't look faint.

I have yet to see Neptune. I did try to hunt for the planet in late November when it was in Aquarius, although there was a bright Moon at the time and I heard that moonlight would make Neptune difficult to see.

I have seen Neptune as a tiny disk with my 6 inch refractor , but its so small even at 250x plus .

Lovely colour though .

Brian.

I can imagine how lovely Neptune's colour looks through your telescope. I am not sure if, with a more powerful Barlow Lens, I would be able to see Uranus as a tiny disc with my 3-inch refractor.

Archived