Does a shroud for my 250px

Hi all I have made a shroud for my dobsonian 10" collapsible scope but due to the weather I have been unable to test it I am wondering if it makes a big difference I don't live in a bad area for light pollution I would say I have medium conditions. Anyone else that uses a shroud what improvements should I expect.

thanks

You live in Warrington and its not bad for light? A shroud will help with stray light, ie next door's house lights, security lights, and so on , but as photons travel in a straight line , having a gap in the middle of your telescope will not adversely effect your viewing

I have the same scope, and as others have said a shroud serves the dual purpose of preventing stray light and helping reduce condensation. There is also the reassurance that anything dropped or falling isn't going to damage the primary mirror. As cosmojaydee mentioned, having the gap in the middle of the scope isn't going to affect your viewing.

Martin.

A shroud is needed if you are observing from anywhere other than a totally dark site (ie where you can't see your hand in front of your face). It stops stray light from bouncing around in the tube - which is also why people often flock their tubes as well as add a dew shield. Mine is pitch black inside the tube even in a well lit room.

The result is you will see with better contrast and clarity when you look at objects in the eyepiece. Even a sheet of flocking material directly opposite the focuser tube makes a noticeable difference. It's akin to choosing a darker night rather than a lighter night to get the scope out. :)

Archived