NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's wrong?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a club near you, see if anyone can help there... Its so frustrating, I wish I could pop round and have a look!

I believe there's one at right far side of Bolton but don't know where. As I don't drive either take over and hour on buses if buses even go near it.

Hi. I bought the exact same telescope 2 weeks ago. the pieces you have are correct, the 11/4 and the 2" adaptors are both 60mm long, the 25mm eyepiece is 65mm long and slides in about 20mm, the Barlow adaptor is 75mm long and slides in about 40mm.

When I unpacked everything the first thing I did was check the alignment and collimation, this was so far out I'm sure if I used it I'd be looking behind have you checked this.

There was a lot of mucking about before I even went outside, have you tried looking out of a window at the furthest lamp post as a starter for checking your spotter scope.

I know all this is a bit daft but I've no problems at all, I may look a prat to any body passing my kitchen window though.

I,understand alignment but what's collimation? How do I check it?

as i stated above you need a lazor or cheshire collimator, to align your 2 mirrors correctly (alway thought these should be sold as part of a kit with a first scope well at least a cheshire they are cheap) the alignment of the spotter is simple by the adjustment screws, astro babys guide on here somewhere about collimation comes recommended by many (not lookied myself as found it fairly easy), but try the moon first then you can align spotter once you have proved focus on the moon, you will be stunned by the moon though a scope i always have a bit of a peak whenever i can!...but you will need to buy a collimation tool either cheshire or lazor at some point although some do use a film canister with a hole in dead center (never tried it myself)

as I said earlier. you said when you moved the focuser, jupiter looked like a naked eye star. If this is the case you were NOT looking at jupiter and there is nothing wrong with your focuser. With a 200p and either 25mm ep or 10 mm ep I would say it is impossible to see jupiter as small as a naked eye star. therefore I would say you were looking at a star. Try again or try on the moon. you will probably save yourself some money. Above all, be patient and believe me, it will all fall into place.

Scott

Yes John. Both 25mm and 10mm.

Believe it or not Paul when the focus tube is halfway out it zooms right out and just looks a star you see with and naked I eye.

Don't know if this will make any sense but the focus on a telescope is not like a zoom lens on a camera. in a telescope, the smaller the object gets the closer you are to perfect focus. the only way to make something look bigger is to use a higher mag ep (smaller length) or barlow. with a 10mm ep Jupiter should look about the size of a pea.

Hope this helps and good luck.

it would be an idea to purchase a collimation tool. thats not a waste of money as its required for reflectors . by other posts it seems you have the correct adapters, so collimation is worth investigating.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orion-Optics-1-25-inch-Collimating-Eyepiece-/300856936922?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item460c7889da e bay.

or here http://www.firstlightoptics.com/collimation/cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

good luck.

it would be an idea to purchase a collimation tool. thats not a waste of money as its required for reflectors . by other posts it seems you have the correct adapters, so collimation is worth investigating.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item460c7889da e bay.

or here http://www.firstligh...g-eyepiece.html

good luck.

is a laser easier to use?

is a laser easier to use?

i would say so but a laser can be out of collimation itself so a lot of people use both, with a cheshire to confirm, personally i just use a laser and a fairly cheap one at that, it gets good enough for me then a star test, depending on your finances the hottech seems to be recommended by lots on here, others just use a cheshire and i`ve seen posts of people that have never collimated, but i prefer a quick check before every viewing, but rarly need to make more than minor adjustments

A cheshire IMO is easier to use,for a start it doesnt need colimating itself & many have said that when colimation is reached with a laser, they take it out of the focusser, put it back in & the colimation is out again :confused: . I use a cheshire & its very easy to use, but its all down to personal preference.

Steve

post-28479-0-42309200-1360096391_thumb.j

this what i mean. i know it dont look straight but i took it on my phone through the eyepeice.

I would say,

1. you are way out of focus. make it look as small as possible. a star will never look bigger than naked eye.

2. you secondary mirror looks like its not right. you need a collimation cap or cheshire collimation tool (a laser collimator won't help centre secondary mirror. when you look through the cap the secondary should show a perfect circle. google collimation on you tube, theres loads of guides or astrobaby's guide is vey good

i`d still say don`t spend your money yet, people get hung up on collimation, for visual use if your a little out it won`t matter that much, for astro photography it may make a big difference, but for now wait for the moon, prove you can focus, align your finder scope on the moon initialy then hone in on a bright star, download stellerium so you know for certain you are in the right area for your disired object, then do your reserch BEFORE you spend any money, that 100 quid could get you a cheap cheshire and a quality eyepiece, but you want to make sure your in it for the long term before you spend too much cash (that said resale on most good quality items is usualy fairly good)

Well the Cheshire what Rory recommend from FLO does not come with instructions after reading the reviews. Which do you use?

i know that wasn`t directed at me but i use a laser, quite simple, put it in look down the front of the scope and adjust the secondary to get the red dot on the center dot of the primary mirror, then adjust the primary untill the dot hits the center of the target on the laser collimaors bulls eye then recheck it all, it`s not perfect as there can be play in the focus tube or the laser could be out (this can be cheked by rotating in the focus tube or a v block and checking the red dot stay staionary) but as said above check your focus on the moon ect first and reserch before you make up your mind, there personal choices and many will have different oppions.

I really doubt that this is a collimation problem.

From the image you posted, the scope is a long way from being in focus. What this means is that the eyepiece is just not able to get to the right position so it's either too far in or too far out.

When the pic was taken:

- what eyepiece was in the scope ?

- what object was the scope pointed at ?

- was the focuser drawtube ( the tube that moves when you turn the wheels) all the way in or all the way out ?

Sorry for the Q's - just trying to pinpoint where we are with that pic so the solution can be sorted for you :smiley:

I really doubt that this is a collimation problem.

From the image you posted, the scope is a long way from being in focus. What this means is that the eyepiece is just not able to get to the right position so it's either too far in or too far out.

When the pic was taken:

- what eyepiece was in the scope ?

- what object was the scope pointed at ?

- was the focuser drawtube ( the tube that moves when you turn the wheels) all the way in or all the way out ?

Sorry for the Q's - just trying to pinpoint where we are with that pic so the solution can be sorted for you :smiley:

it was 25mm

pointed a Jupiter

the focus tube was half way out. It was weird. The object went bigger if It was all way in or all way out

once again I would like thank you all for your time.

As said time and time again, wait till you have an object you cant miss like the moon or a distant landmark in daylight.

I know it's frustrating but I'm sure the scope is fine. It took me ages to get the hang of using one so stick with it.

Your image does definitely show out-of-focus and I am guessing what you thought you were looking at was not Jupiter. Get the finder scope aligned and you will see. Don't worry about collimation yet, for visual work you'll be fine. Do a bit of research first before spending money. My 150P and 200P worked straight out of the box (once the finder was aligned)

Word of advice: once you have the finder aligned, don't remove it!! I did to pack it up after the first nights observing. took hours to get aligned agin the next night in the dark!

HTH

Cheers

Jamie

Archived