Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

jumping with joy

Bendeavour

last night (3rd of feb) I was very happy with what I saw

I went out last night to try some astrophotography. I got all my equipment set up then to find my camera was dead. so I took the camera off and put I'm my 10mm, swung over to Jupiter and had a gaze (you cant not, once its gone you'll have to wait a while before it comes back up). I noticed everything was higher in the sky so I went to see if m42 was any different but it didn't. I remember watching eyesontheskysDOTcom and he was talking about how to find M36 and M38. I found 'the smiley face' in Auriga moved to the left then swept the sky with my 25mm EP. Eventually I found a star cluster but I couldn't tell which one it was. I took a guess that it was m38 and moved upward and found m36. I did a little joy dance (because I had been looking for a while and this was the my second attempt) and looked back again. I didn't know what to look for next and I was freezing so I packed up. I was very happy that I found some new objects.

I have a question though, how often should you collimate a dobsonian?

thanks,

Well done with M36 and M38 :) I got my first look at them last night too. A little further down is M37, which I thought was nicer, and even further down is M35 which I thought was better still. Give them a try too next time :D

(sorry, can't help with the collimation quesiton)

Kev

I collimate every time I go out...with a laser collimator it only takes a minute or so. I do it because I have to transport the scope in the trunk and often carry it for multiple days there...so often it NEEDS it. If you can leave it setup I don't think you need to adjust it unless things just aren't looking right. I know my dob will NOT get close to focus of the collimation is out.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Archived