Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Proper First Light

JD75

Got my first proper session with my scope tonight and it was fantastic!

Started the day doing my first collimation, which was, somewhat unexpectedly, far easier than I thought. The scope was a heck of a long way out but with some careful tweaking, I got it what looked to be spot on. Granted, it took me half an hour, with a half way time out to go to the shops when I realised I didn't own a single Allen key. But yes, I found it far less intimidating than I feared.

So set up camp in the garden this evening and I've had a great time out there. I know it's early still, but I don't function will in the cold at the moment, so upped sticks early. Spent most of the time just cruising about, but got completely transfixed with Jupiter. Could clearly see the Galilean moons and some beautiful banding on the planet itself. Could have watched that all night!

Also did the obligatory M42 and I was very excited as I've only seen it through a scope twice before, so to get a pin sharp view of the trapezium was a bounce up and down moment.

Basically a great, if cold, night! Would've loved to stay longer, but I'm still shivering so probably would've been a bad move. The scope is tucked up in the garage where it's nice and dry and the dew can clear off it and I'll be the one over there under the heap of blankets till I get the feeling back in my fingers :grin:

Nice to read such an enthusiastic first light :). Good gloves are a must ;). Just wait until April - Saturn will be up in the evening; then you 'll really be bouncing up and down with excitement :).

Clear skies!

I had gloves, and hat... and two layers... and ski jacket.

Unfortunately, I have to take warfarin and that's turned my blood to ice so I'm perpetually cold. Pretty sure my next gas bill will probably be enough to buy Hubble from NASA :p

Still, tonight was more than worth the cold hands!

Archived