2nd time out with PST - 02/02/2013

springbok

Hi All,

I had 2nd go at imaging today with the PST today.

Last time I used the SPC900, this time for a comparision, I used the QHY5 and MS Lifecam.

Getting a bit better, still a lot to learn though.

I was gutted to have missed catching a plane and then later a bird passing the disk. Both times I saw it on the screen but was focusing at the time.

Cheers,

Grahame.

The first 2 are with the QHY5, and last one is with the MS Lifecam.

8437767197_1ce456de79_z.jpg

8438851690_24f34eb90b_z.jpg

8437795215_edcfac0bbf_z.jpg

Hi Ian,

Thanks, los of settings today, trying this and that. For the images I think I had the exposure set low to 0, and the gain around 10, using QGVideo. Seemed to work OK for the proms.

I struggled with the QHY5 when trying to get surface detail though. Kept getting "banding" once the image was processed.

HTH,

Grahame.

Thanks Robin.

QHY5 with QGVideo

MS Lifecam with Registax.

As above though, I struggled to get a "clean" image of the surface detail with the QHY5.

Either the lifecam was better, or Registax handled the processing better.

My feeling is that Registax has more control to pull out the surface detail, than QGVideo.

Grahame.

Hi,

I think the banding is Newton rings caused by an interaction of the Etalon and the chip in the QHY5, I have seen this before on other peoples pictures with a QHY5. I get the same thing to a small extent with a Cemax 2x Barlow and my DMK41, but they are very feint. I have found that tuning the Etalon slightly reduces the intensity and if the tracking is not quite perfect then they disappear when stacked.

I have a QHY5 so will give it a try to see if I get them with my Lunt when the DMK doesn't.

Still a very good effort and there is plenty to build on, it is early days yet.

Archived