NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Making Movies

Hi

I'm keen to try making movies using DSLR still frames, but not sure where to start, so would appreciate some tips.

If it helps, I use Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2, and Nikon cameras.

Can I use RAW images, or am I restricted to using JPEG's ?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

I don't know about PS3 but PS5 allows you to open all your "frames" as individual layers and then save them as a movie - after setting up any timings etc that you may want. See if you have "animation" in the Window drop-down, if so you should be able to do it. If so ask again and I'll find some instructions for you. I've done this with JPEG's on some Jupiter stills:

3-December-2012-Jupiter.gif

I don't know about PS3 but PS5 allows you to open all your "frames" as individual layers and then save them as a movie - after setting up any timings etc that you may want. See if you have "animation" in the Window drop-down, if so you should be able to do it. If so ask again and I'll find some instructions for you.

Hey Roger,

Yep, CS3 has the Animation menu item. I must do some reading, but if you've got any instructions to get me started, that would be great.

cheers

Kevin

Open an image and copy/paste all your frames into a seperate layer for each one. Make sure they are in the correct order. Go to the animation window. Find the animation options button on the animation panel (top right of animation panel) and click on "make frames from layers". You need to set the delay for each frame - under each frame. Click the play button to watch your animation. When happy click "file" and "save for web and devices" - change the format to GIF (not the preset box, the one below it - probably says JPEG) and click save. Name your file and click save again. Done.

Hope this helps.

Mmm, as far as I can tell PIPP is mainly used for pre-processing planetary images prior to stacking, which isn't really what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to learn how to make an animated movie from single DSLR frames. Maybe a bit ambitious as a first attempt, but I'm hoping to take a series of shots of the aurora next week to turn into a short video.

Do you have Bridge? If so you can select your files using the main menu when bridge opens then Tools > Photoshop > Load files into Photoshop Layers. Do this from the main menu in Bridge. I've just tried it and it works - two clicks to a movie (well almost!).

Do you have Bridge? If so you can select your files using the main menu when bridge opens then Tools > Photoshop > Load files into Photoshop Layers. Do this from the main menu in Bridge. I've just tried it and it works - two clicks to a movie (well almost!).

Yes I have Bridge but not sure which version. I had a little play earlier, but I didn't see this menu option. I'll have another look when my daughter gives me my computer back!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mmm, as far as I can tell PIPP is mainly used for pre-processing planetary images prior to stacking, which isn't really what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to learn how to make an animated movie from single DSLR frames. Maybe a bit ambitious as a first attempt, but I'm hoping to take a series of shots of the aurora next week to turn into a short video.

I've just this minute posted an animation put together in PIPP . . . ()

When the PIPP screen opens there is a box at the bottom with various options , tick the " Planetary Animation " option . . .

Yes, PIPP was originally aimed at pre-processing images but it has branched out a bit attempting to simplify those little tasks than can be tricky to do in another way. The latest version of PIPP should be able to take the RAW images from your Canon directly and create a video for you. The downside is that it does not generate a video using a lossy codec so the video could be quite large if it is made from full size DSLR images. Support for generating videos using lossy codes is in the pipeline though.

I would also like to repeat the suggestion for WindowsLiveMovieMaker, a great piece of free software from Microsoft. The only issue I have with this program is it seems difficult to generate a video with a non-standard aspect ratio which you often want to do with cropped planetary images. That is probably just user error though.

Cheers,

Chris

Had another play with Bridge CS3 and it doesn't appear to have the Load files into Photoshop Layers option.

However, a good friend has recommended Startrails which, having had a quick look on the website, appears to do everything I need very simply. Result!

If you're thinking of doing any astro timelapse work you might find it is necessary to apply some fancy 'astro processing' (eg stretches, curves, LP removal, noise reduction etc) in which case you will need some software that allows Batch Processing of all the frames in one hit. Otherwise you'll find processing each frame individaully is an impossible task (my last movie was 850 frames.......).

I have found that Corel Paint Shop Pro has a good script based batch processing facility- you 'record' all the steps used on one frame- then apply the same process to the rest while you make a cup of tea. I think CS3 does this but the process of writing the script was a bit more involved?

Then I have just used the free Windows Movie Maker to create the video (but I'm sure there's better software out there)

As far as I can see, Startrails (free) may be that better software you refer to. Check out the website.

Regarding batch processing, you're right, processing 800 frames would send anyone do-lally! Not sure how many frames I may want to play with, but I'm guessing less than 100. CS3 may do it with scripts as you say, so I'll have to check this out. Alternatively I use Adobe Lightroom which has batch processing capability as far as I recall, though not quite as much scope for post-processing as Photoshop.

Sounds like you want to do something very similar to timelapse photography. In theory at least.

It would be worth checking out the timescapes website as they have lots of info on software that would be applicable to you.

The best option I would suggest would be LRTimelapse (LRT) in conjunction with Lightroom or Photoshop. There are plenty of tutorials on how to use LRT and the author is always willing to help out on his forum.

Its a fairly involved process though and startrails is very easy to use like you say... But LRT does allow Ken-Burns type of effects etc and is very powerful. Might be worth putting the time in to learn.

Mike

Archived