SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can I use a telescope tripod as a camera-only mount

Radscanner

I have a spare tripod that used to belong to a telescope mount system. Is there a way to turn this tripod into a plain camera mount by somehow using an adapter? At the moment the tripod just has a large hole at the top where the telescope mount is attached via the usual large bolt. Is there an adapter that I can affix to that bolt that will convert it to a small bolt of the size that will thread into the much smaller hole at the base of a DSLR camera? Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks for the replies. It's actually a tripod from a throw-away jessops (arghh) scope that I had from years ago. The scope of course is rubbish but the tripod is surprisingly solid (much better stability than an eq2 tripod but that's not saying much). I think the redsnapper mount will do the trick. Thanks again.

Get a bolt long enough to go through the tripod hole and a large washer, from underneath the tripod place the bolt through the washer and up through the hole if the mount is going to be permanent cut the bolt to the correct length and screw down the mount, might be a good idea to have a washer on top too but without seeing your tripod I’m only guessing.

The bolt used must be the same diameter to fit into your mount.

Jim

Archived