Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Most portable mount for 120ED visual

Sirius Bizness

After considering a new setup for grab and go visual I am now thinking 3 scopes is unnessassary. If I were to use my 120ED for grab and go what would be the most suitable mount? I am looking for light weight, portable and manual movement but most importantly stable. I am fit and strong enough to lug it about. I just want something quick to get out and use for short 15min sessions and the odd visit to a dark site.

It sounds like the AZ4 isn't suitable?

Any advise would be appreciated.

The Skytee 2 looks very good indeed. A bit more than I wanted to spend but at least I am not buying another scope.

Few questions....

How heavy is the mount?

If using the one scope do I need counterweights on it?

Where do I get the extension from? Can't see anything on FLO.

Thanks for the help!

I've used my AZ-4 a number of times for quick sessions with my ED120. It's not ideal when the magnification goes over 150x or so but it's usable with a little care.

The Skytee II would be a more sturdy mount but less portable than the AZ-4. My regular mount for the ED120 is a Giro-style heavy duty alt-azimuth on a 2" steel CG5 tripod. I sometimes add a 16" pillar extension as well to get the eyepiece height up a bit but then the outfit is definitely "grunt and go" rather than "grab and go" !

Here is a Giro (mine is of a similar design from a UK engineering company and not produced any more):

http://www.telescope...t___Tripod.html

I don't find a counterweight necessary with the ED120. Heavier scopes, yes.

I was loaned a Skytee II for a while. It's a very solid mount and heavier than the Giro but I didn't actually weigh it I'm afraid. Pics below of the Skytee II with a Meade AR6 refractor onboard (a 26 lb optical tube) and my Giro-type mount with the ED120 on it.

post-118-0-99377300-1359664632_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-96744000-1359664644_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that John. The pictures paint a thousand words. The Giro looks spot on for what I am looking for. It only weighs 2kg and its great you don't need the counterweight. The Skytee looks much heavier - 5 kg? Are the slow motion controls a real advantage on the Skytee? Having had a read I don't however like the sound of the dovetail clamps on the Skytee.

Just need to find a Giro now. Don't seem that common.

Archived